Jul 30, 2014, 12:01 PM EST
LeBron James returning home to play for the Cavaliers is a great story in Cleveland, and it isn’t one the hometown newspaper is about to begin to sour by accepting advertising aimed at mocking the game’s greatest player.
A Miami radio show apparently wanted to buy an ad poking fun at James, but The Plain Dealer decided against it.
Representatives of The Dan LeBatard Show called the Cleveland media outlet on Tuesday to purchase a full-page advertisement in this Sunday’s edition of the newspaper, Northeast Ohio Media Group Vice President of Sales and Marketing Mike Maleski confirmed. NEOMG sales staff are responsible for ads in The Plain Dealer.
The show’s request was “politely declined,” Maleski said. …
LeBatard said during the show that the ad was not intended to be mean-spirited, but rather a way to poke fun at James and Northeast Ohio residents who watched him win two championships in Miami.
This isn’t all that creative, and honestly, isn’t even a clever way to chide James for leaving Miami after he led the Heat to the NBA Finals in all four of his seasons with the Heat.
The show mentioned the fact that James has yet to publicly thank the fans in Miami as additional motivation for wanting to run the ad, but is that really necessary? It’s likely a publicity stunt by the radio show more than anything else, and at least in that regard, the idea was a success.
I would pay for this…. pic.twitter.com/bnHCguU3G4
— BANDWAGON HEAT LIFER (@itsleooo) July 29, 2014
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 8
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 5
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0