Magic Johnson: Jerry Buss wanted Byron Scott to coach the Lakers

Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Introduce Byron Scott Getty Images

There is an understandable reverence among Lakers fans for Jerry Buss.

The late owner ran the franchise in a top-notch manner, so many of his moves turning to gold.

One that didn’t work, at least how the Lakers hoped: Hiring Mike Brown.

But, according to Magic Johnson, Brown was not Buss’ top choice.

Byron Scott, the Lakers’ newest coach, was.

Johnson, via Eric Pincus of the Los Angeles Times:

“Dr. Buss was going to make Byron the coach when Phil didn’t know what he was going to do” in 2010, said Johnson.  “Byron took the Cleveland job, and he took it too early.  I called and said: ‘B., you took the job too early.  Dr. Buss wanted you to be the coach.”

It all worked out as well as could be reasonably expected for everyone involved.

The post-Jackson Lakers were never talented and healthy enough to win with any significance anyway. Neither Brown nor Scott was going to make a difference.

Scott got an extra year of salary, coaching his first season with the Cavaliers while Jackson completed his final year in Los Angeles. And though his Cleveland teams struggled, that didn’t prevent him from getting the job he wanted all along.

1. unfrozencavemanlawyer2 - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Did Jerry Buss want Phil Jackson to take over as President of the Knicks? The Lakers are going to get Show Time rolling again- now that Byron is back. It’ll be just like old times- except for all the great players and the championships.

• imakcds - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:08 PM

I sure don’t think he wanted PJ to get his hands on the Laker’s enormous cache of funds, and I think Jeannie finally came to her senses. and Jerry West was the biggest casualty of Jackson’s ambitions.

2. blogsk3tball - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Magic is like one of those crazy erratic women.

He always runs his mouth when things are going bad, then disappears for 5 mins and comes back talking like nothing just happened.

• caeser12 - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Exactly.

And sadly, he gets away with it, so he never learns.

3. shanelsweet - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:18 PM

At some point, aren’t folks going to have to acknowledge that when other folks said a few years ago that the Lakers would never contend again with Kobe, they were right. That’s the biggest change I’ve seen in my lifetime with the NBA. Players chose who to play with now, and nobody really good wants to play with old Kobe. But hey, there’s always Nick Young to cheer. He’s a winner, right?

• mogogo1 - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:25 PM

The Lakers won two straight titles in 2009-2010. And they made two significant free agent signings in Howard and Nash since then, so it’s not just that players don’t like Kobe. Kobe is difficult but that’s not why they won’t contend again until after he has retired. The reasons for that are numerous: 1. Kobe is older and more injury-prone 2. They overpaid Kobe which makes it harder to sign other players 3. They haven’t added any difference makers via the draft 4. There’s general upheaval in the franchise including the ownership change (for the worse) and coaching shake-ups.

4. jerdogthompson - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Aaahhhhh big yawn, why does this make front page headlines? Oh that’s right , the sheeples need their daily dose of the Kool-aid, pardon my digression but it’s years from any “real” headlines being made. I do mean years, like 7-8 maybe more. But hey, don’t let me ruin the Kool-aid party, keep drinking it!

5. rexgrossman8 - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Why not let Scott know he’s option number 1 through back channels? If you want the guy bad enough and that keyed in you have to let him know. Just smart business. Sounds more like revisionist history while throwing some shade Jim Buss’ way since he had more of an active role in org decisions back then as well. Jim is the one who pushed for the drafting of Bynum…

• skins26portis - Jul 31, 2014 at 2:01 AM

More news on the Lakers circus show. The media has to keep the Lakers relevant no matter what BS Magic is saying now. Dr. Buss RIP isn’t coming back just like the old days of show time . The only thing Laker fans can for sure count on is they will miss the playoffs again . I like turning on my radio and hearing delusional Laker fans talk themselves into the hiring of Byron Scott is going to make them a playoff team .

• musician0785 - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:24 AM

• billtetley53 - Jul 31, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Pissy eyes, youve been told time and again that your fanbase has bought and paid for, all the ridicule you get, many times over. Of coursr people are going to come onvhere and pick on lakees fans, you deserve it. You fans had it so good for so long that you became pompous and think you deserve a winner every year or two.

The delusion is what gets most people.(not me, i cant stand your crying and your incessant need to rebut every anti laker posting).

Your fanbases failure to see that the new cba hurts the lakers in terms of not being able to pay the most money without penalties, your failure to realize that Kobe is a pariah that nobody wants to play with, your ineffable belief that hes coming back at his age after 2 major surgeries like nothing is changed, your stupid belief that this is a plsyoff team as assembled, you know, delusion.

But most people detest your fanbase for the condescension and thinking that you deserve a title. You guys ran your mouthes for years, now, just sit back and take it!
        And quit your damn crying for once.

• musician0785 - Jul 31, 2014 at 2:51 PM

you moron i was referring to the irony that this guy while clicking and commenting on every laker story is blaming the media for lakers coverage…..i don’t kno what the hell tangent you went out on…..and once again u couldn’t wait for me to post so you could reply…..Im flattered that you think so much of me that you feel like you have to follow me around like a groupie, but I like women…soooooo better luck next time…….groupie

• musician0785 - Jul 31, 2014 at 2:59 PM

oh and one more think, stop trying to attribute things other fans have said to me….I didnt say the lakers would make the playoffs this year…..the lakers have won 8 championships since ive been alive….5 since 2000……so if they dont make the playoffs for a couple of years i’m unphased. The irony that the fan of a team with the highest payroll and luxury tax bill in the league for the past 3 years is telling me about how the CBA hurts MY team…..do you even read the stuff you post? please explain how this: “you sure its the media, and not you clicking and commenting on EVERY laker related story” is crying? I’ll wait……..You know y guys dont come to LA? because the aforementioned CBA is designed so that a player would make far more staying on his team…the only real player movement has been bosh and wade….but where else have guys taken paycuts to go play somewhere else? dont worry i’ll wait…….you never have any real BASKETBALL points…..all you do is come on here and follow me around…..like a groupie

• billtetley53 - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Jesus, Dwight Howard left your sad sack of lakers team to go to Houston for less money, are you that dense?

I ” follow you around” because you areva moronic, myopic, crybaby. You cant let one barb against the lakers go by, you just have to respond to every last one. Youre an irritating turd, and thats why I reply to you. I get a kick out of helping you look stupid, and its a time waster at work.

It doesnt surprise me that you dont get thst people love to troll you lakers fans, which is what portis and sports are doing also, for reasons stated above.
        Because we get responses like yours.

BTW, its crying because you are pissy eyed that people rip on the lakers. If you dont get that simple concept, I cant help you.

The Nets owner doesnt care about the salary cap, again doesnt matter, once KG retires, Im not a Nets fan.

Who cares if you like girls, I do too. Im not your groupie though. Im here to piss you off, and its working wonderfully. Too bad you feel like you have to continue responding, i feel sorry for and am embarrassed for you. But I am laughing at you.

• musician0785 - Jul 31, 2014 at 2:46 PM

you moron i was referring to the irony that this guy while clicking and commenting on every laker story is blaming the media for lakers coverage…..i don’t kno what the hell tangent you went out on…..and once again u couldn’t wait for me to post so you could reply…..Im flattered that you think so much of me that you feel like you have to follow me around like a groupie, but I like women…soooooo better lick next time…….groupie

• musician0785 - Jul 31, 2014 at 2:46 PM

6. smackingfools - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Go away Magic. I thought you were a Clippers guy??

7. dablakdrphil - Jul 31, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Magic may have been a Laker during his playing days. But for the last several years all he does is down talk his team to the point Laker fans don’t really care what he has to say.

Magic Johnson: GREAT NBA Point Guard, OUTSTANDING business man but TERRIBLE NBA Analyst. I always cringed whenever he spoke at the ESPN studio

• skins26portis - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:12 AM

A typical Laker fan bashing Magic now that he isn’t part of the Lakers organization anymore. You are the same fan that was on his nuts when Magic was leading Showtime and winning titles. You are same fan that loved Howard when he was a Laker and now his is a bum. Yea that’s why I commit on your Laker fan base because many of you are idiots.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches