Kevin Durant anoints Anthony Davis MVP-in-waiting

Jul 30, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT

Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant AP

The NBA has current players who have won MVP and are still under 30: Kevin Durant, LeBron James and Derrick Rose.

Even if Rose has permanently lost explosiveness and no longer will contend for the top honor (not at all a given but also very plausible), Durant and LeBron alone make it tough for anyone new to break through.

But if anyone has a shot, it’s Anthony Davis.

Durant sees that.

NBA.com:

As reported by SLAM magazine in a recent profile of New Orleans forward Anthony Davis, when Davis texted congratulations to Durant on winning league MVP, Durant responded back to Davis that the 21-year-old is headed for the honor someday.

“You on your way to get it,” read Durant’s text message back to Davis.

Davis was exceptional last year.

Though injuries shortened his season, there was a long stretch where Davis was the NBA’s best player outside Durant and LeBron. Davis’ offense has far surpassed reasonable expectations at this stage, and his defensive potential remains immense. And he’s just 21!

It’s difficult to see an MVP besides Durant or LeBron anytime soon, but eventually someone will unseat them.

I’m with Durant. Davis is on his way, and he might be coming sooner than most think.

1. money2long - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:35 PM

I freakin love Anthony Davis’ game !!
    Fear the brow

• redstar504 - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Me too right there with you . I make as many games as my schedule lets me and don’t miss a one on TV and it has been a joy watching this guy develop. The first time I ever saw him play was in the Superdome at the final 4 and then when New Orleans drafted him I was pumped up.

He struggled a bit that first year he was a defensive monster from day one. He turned up the scoring last half of that 1st season but exploded last year. He came in kind of weak and had issues manning up on bigger guys but he has gotten way stronger. It’s been awesome watching him grow, get stronger smarter.

The scary thing is he just keeps getting better every week his talent seems limitless and he did what he accomplished last season with a roster that was all 2 team beanch guys. He was the only starter we had at least until Evans came on. Hopefully this year we can keep starters healthy and do some damage, if not for nothing just to make the playoffs so more people can get to see Davis’ game.

2. sportsfan18 - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:37 PM

True.

Lebron turns 30 this season in Dec. He isn’t done but due to the age difference between him and Davis, it will happen in time.

It’s between KD and Davis in years to come, not now, I mean like 3 yrs from now, like in the 16/17 to 19/20 seasons.

I’m not a Lebron fan but I think he wins the MVP this coming season again.

I think KD will get it again two seasons from now as he gives one last push to get a title in and for OKC before he may or may not leave.

After that, it’s up for grabs. LBJ will turn 32 in that season, KD will still be young and Davis will be a monster.

• money2long - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:56 PM

I’m willing to bet lebron doesn’t win it.

• antistratfordian - Jul 30, 2014 at 5:37 PM

If the Cavs win the Eastern Conference LeBron will probably get it (or even if they come in 2nd). Think about where Cleveland was coming from. Plus, Russell Westbrook is probably not going to miss so many games again so Durant’s candidacy will take a bit of a hit. Who else could win it besides them? Blake Griffin?? James Harden??? Maybe a long-shot scenario where Derrick Rose comes back real strong, Chicago wins the East, and Rose wins MVP again??? That would take a herculean effort from Rose and it’s unlikely – and we would also have to determine if Rose or Noah was the primary reason why the Bulls excelled, etc. So I think LeBron is a safest bet, obviously and objectively. He’s set up nicely to win it pretty easily.

• engh533 - Jul 30, 2014 at 7:50 PM

I’ll take that bet … Hater

• money2long - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Ok. Let’s see what happens.

• bball242322 - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Anti – i see your points, but Harden has a 0% chance of ever getting the MVP. No way Rose can comeback after 2 years to win the MVP this season, he could win it again eventually but not this year. If Paul George keeps steadily progressing like he has been, he’ll have a shot at MVP (not next year) but a couple years down the road. Other than that, it will be a two-horse race again between KD and LBJ likely for the next 2-3 years

• money2long - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:49 PM

I’m taking the field. Perhaps Carmelo surprises everyone and carries the Knicks like crazy.
        All you banking on is lebron playin well but there’s another side. Someone making a bigger impact elsewhere. Lebron can do what you state but someone else’s performance may leave a better mark in the eyes of voters. And I bet someone will make a bigger impact in those eyes more so than what lebron will do.

Just watch.

3. rrhoe - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I truly enjoy watching Anthony Davis play ball,a great two way player.

4. whodey83 - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Brow Down!

5. unfrozencavemanlawyer2 - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:52 PM

AD has maybe two more years before he ascends to the throne. Dude is already scary good.

6. aldavis4president - Jul 30, 2014 at 5:00 PM

I can’t say I agree with that. I mean the mvp trophy is mostly a popularity contest to tell you the truth, but I can see a few players give bron, Durant, and Davis a run for their money. I feel like stephon curry is only getting better and has all the skills in the world to do so. Russle Westbrook is another player who can light up the stat sheet. 2players who I give a long shot to doing so are demarcus cousins (yeah I know, but he’s truly dominant when focused) and John wall. Wall is also getting better year by year. These pgs can easily avg 20+ -10+ -7 . You can clearly see what the no HS/1year removed from hs rule has done to the overall talent of the nba. We had a good 8-10 year drought of reaallyyy bad basketball.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 30, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Curry will have to light it up… it’s very difficult for West Coast players to win the award… Barkley, Malone and Nash are the only non-Lakers to win a MVP on the West Coast.

• aldavis4president - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:32 PM

I’m not sure off the top of my head, but I believe kg, duncan, durant, D robinson, alajuwon, and Dirk all won mvps.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Minnesota, Oklahoma City and Texas are on the West Coast? They’re not even in the Mountain Time Zone! lol.

• nycalldayz - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:54 PM

@asimonetti88

Minnesota, Oklahoma City and Texas considered West Coast teams.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 31, 2014 at 2:14 PM

That seems ridiculous to me. The time zone they play in is only 1 hour behind East Coast teams, but 2 hours ahead of West Coast teams.

7. bronx77 - Jul 30, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Lebron will win it even if he someone has a better season then him next year. If he has an identical regular season to this one the voters will give it to him for “going home”. Not that I think that’s what should happen but it will. I agree that Davis will take it home eventually

8. duhwighthoward - Jul 30, 2014 at 5:03 PM

That’s funny. I commented a couple of months ago that Anthony Davis would be the best center in 2015. 1 thumb up, 65 thumbs down.

It’s alright, you’re welcome to jump on the bandwagon. I don’t hold grudges.

• patfic5 - Jul 30, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Seriously doubt that. How long ago was “a couple months” ?

• duhwighthoward - Jul 30, 2014 at 6:30 PM

when the all-nba teams were announced

• absentstars - Jul 30, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Hes a four not a five on the pelicans.

• duhwighthoward - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:20 PM

I didn’t realize Ryan Anderson played center.

• absentstars - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Ryan anderson doesnt start. He’s AD’s backup. Omer asik is the starting center.

• duhwighthoward - Jul 31, 2014 at 11:55 AM

He played center all last season.

This just in: “We think he’s one of the top players in the league and we need for him to be that five that nobody has.” —Mike Krzyzewski on Anthony Davis

I suppose you know more than Coach K, though.

• absentstars - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Coach K was talking about Team USA which plays small ball until they play Spain. You obviously never watch the Pelicans. Greg Steimsma was the starting center for 90% of the games. The year before was Robin Lopez. I dont know more than coach k just more than you.

9. spursareold - Jul 30, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Davis is a beast. He’s probably the best up and coming two way big man since Duncan.

• antistratfordian - Jul 30, 2014 at 5:51 PM

You mean Garnett. Davis is a guy who can do what KG did – lead the league in PER and also win DPOY. Duncan hasn’t done either.

• duhwighthoward - Jul 30, 2014 at 6:27 PM

If you are implying that Garnett is better than Duncan, you are dumber than dumb.

I used to eagerly anticipate Spurs vs. Timberwolves in the playoffs to watch Garnett vs. Duncan, two of the best big men in the game, go against each other in their prime.

Unfortunately, the result was a dud. Duncan took Garnett to school every game and the rest is history.

Sometimes I wonder if you’ve ever played competitive basketball, even when you were a kid or if you even watch the NBA. It seems like you just read blogs and try to leave the dumbest comment possible.

• antistratfordian - Jul 30, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I think Garnett had higher highs as a two way player – so he was able to lead the league in PER and win DPOY, etc. Things Duncan could never accomplish. But that doesn’t also mean KG is better overall – Garnett was less consistent – so there’s something great to be said about Duncan’s high level consistency and longevity. But if KG was on the Spurs with Pop he would probably have more Finals success as well.

I’ve played a lot of competitive basketball and was very, very good. I’m older now, but I still got it. I can still shake you out of your shoes like I could when I was 23. If you’re ever in my area and you want to play 21, just hit me up… I’m game.

• duhwighthoward - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:27 PM

PER – a new stat that is highly overrated. I’ve never heard Phil Jackson mention it once.

Defensive Player of the Year – a meaningless award. Just consider that Tyson Chandler, Dwight Howard, and Marcus Camby have all won it recently.

Do you mean to tell that me any of them are better defenders than Tim Duncan?

• antistratfordian - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:47 PM

For many years Duncan wasn’t even the best defender on his own team. Bruce Bowen was getting waaaay more DPOY love than Duncan. You know Duncan’s highest finish in DPOY voting was 2nd and he only did that once. That’s kind of shocking for a great defender. LeBron has already finished 2nd or better two times. Bruce Bowen finished 2nd or better three times. Just saying.

PER is not really a new stat. It’s just new to you. And it’s an only an indicator. But KG led the league in that stat for two seasons… which is no small feat.

And KG is not a scrub – he’s a first ballot hall of famer. He’s an all-time great. So, you know, you shouldn’t get offended if someone suggests that a player like KG may have had higher highs. He certainly was more versatile than Duncan.

• duhwighthoward - Jul 31, 2014 at 11:31 AM

You’re comparing Bruce Bowen to Tim Duncan now.

And you keep referring to voting.

Now I’m convinced the only basketball you’ve ever dunked was a nerf.

• nycalldayz - Jul 31, 2014 at 8:20 AM

@ “He’s probably the best up and coming two way big man since Duncan.” Pump you’re breaks, because you’re reaching with that comment. Can we allow Davis to play at least 8-10, years into his career before we prematurely leapfrog him over guys like Duncan or Garnett, as far as two way big men.

• duhwighthoward - Jul 31, 2014 at 11:36 AM

After 8-10 years, you’re no longer up and coming.

It’s a bold statement. But if you can see the potential, then it will be fun to watch him and see if he can fulfill it.

10. andreboy1 - Jul 30, 2014 at 5:32 PM

I think he probably will be the next great big man whol could carry a team to a ring.

11. phillycannon - Jul 30, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Im not sold on this guy becoming a MVP. He has no star power at all. And what I mean about star power………….. I mean, outside the NBA. Good player…yes, marketable…no!

• urodaddy07 - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:00 AM

wish I could give this comment more than just one thumb down

• phillycannon - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Your right…wish you could. But you cant!!!!

• spursareold - Jul 31, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Duncan had no star power…and two MVPs.

• phillycannon - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:59 PM

he also won a championship too. So again….Davis has NO starpower

12. dablakdrphil - Jul 30, 2014 at 6:13 PM

I feel AD is already better than Dwight Howard when it comes to their offensive game. AD at 21 is already a polished offensive player and can only get better. Howard is still trying to develop a more consistent offensive flow. AD shoots it very well from mid range and has a great feel for the game on the defensive end which was evident by the number of blocks he averaged last year.

I absolutely love his game, being on the men’s olympic squad really got him going in the right direction

• duhwighthoward - Jul 30, 2014 at 6:27 PM

duh!

• dablakdrphil - Jul 30, 2014 at 6:40 PM

I’ve had people say Dwight Howard is better and I disagree. AD is a much more complete player

• duhwighthoward - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Dwight Howard is better.

at impregnating women, humping underage girls, helping others defeat him in the dunk contest, imagining people would want to watch a reality show about him, crying when Shaq tries to give him sage advice, and many other follies.

13. bevan18 - Jul 30, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Id love to see the list of guys 21 and under who have dropped 40/20 in a game. It has to be a very short list but he’s on it. Scary thing is he almost did it again later that week.

• duhwighthoward - Jul 30, 2014 at 6:29 PM

sportsfan18, this one’s for you. Put your love of stats to work.

14. elcaminobilly - Jul 30, 2014 at 7:00 PM

I’d love to see what he could do if he stays healthy all year long. I have been enjoying watching him play when I can.

15. rabbdogg - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:12 PM

kg Always was better than timmy…timmy had better teams and wayyyyyy better coaching…put kg on those spurs teams and he wins 7 championships and atleast one back to back..timmy is a 7 foot center playing power forward against 6’8 6’9 guys..was always scared to play center cause he was running from shaq..that why the spurs always have a t. splitter type guy so timmy can play power forward against smaller weaker guys because timmy is WEAK and SOFT..always has been..always will be..

• duhwighthoward - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:47 PM

You must be one of those guys who makes all his judgments based on Sports Center.

I hate to break it to you, but Garnett is seven feet tall too.

Also, after David Robinson retired, that was Tim Duncan guarding Shaq.

And to top it off, you missed Tim Duncan being unstoppable in the low post in the NBA Finals two years in a row. When was the last time Garnett scored a bucket in the low post?

• nycalldayz - Jul 31, 2014 at 8:16 AM

@duhwighthoward

Is it personal between u and KG? Look, I love Duncan, but let’s not pretend there’s this large gap between Duncan and Garnett’s career. The only thing that separates TD and KG, are 5 to 1, in championship rings. If not having rings or not having as many as the next player are barometer, then we as sports fans need to re-evaluate our way of thinking.

When was the last time Garnett scored a bucket in the low post? C’mon. You’re nitpicking to unnecessarily criticize Garnett. His game is different than Duncan’s, you can’t fault the guy for that. LOL

• duhwighthoward - Jul 31, 2014 at 11:48 AM

I like Kevin Garnett. But after watching him his whole career, including going head to head against Tim Duncan, I am of the opinion that Tim Duncan has always had the upper hand.

I just wonder have people been watching the games, or do they just read box scores and refer to PER and sportswriters voting (antistratfordian)?

And I don’t just go by rings. There have been so many great players who never won a championship. I like watching individual matchups, the strategies teams employ, and all the little facets that make the pro game so great.

• nycalldayz - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:04 PM

@ duhwighthoward

Of course Duncan’s had the upper hand. Remember, Duncan was drafted by a competent franchise the Spurs. Not many players coming out of college get to play alongside David Robinson, another all time great and be coached by Pop. This may be stretch, but just about every role player or sidekick that’s played with Duncan was better than any of KG’s Minnesota teammates.

The Timberwolves are a dysfunctional franchise. They can’t draft or compliment their franchise players. Kevin McHale, David Kahn, Glen Taylor are all incompetent.

• nycalldayz - Jul 31, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Tim Duncan is not weak or soft. He’s an all time great. Let’s not be disrespectful here, folks. Though I agree with your argument as far as career paths between TD and KG. Even though some people choose to purposely ignore this, but Garnett was drafted by an incompetent Minnesota Timberwolves franchise. Duncan was drafted by a competent Spurs and placed alongside David Robinson and Greg Pop.

16. realfootballfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:42 AM

Yea, Anthony Davis is about to break out soon. He’s already very good. Hope the Pelicans can surround him with some more pieces.

17. nycalldayz - Jul 31, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Anthony Davis could be on pace to be special. Still, I don’t want to rush to judgement based on one much improved season. Davis is still young and needs to improve on certain aspects of his game, and most important for Davis is staying healthy. He could be the next two-way PF behind Duncan and KG. Today’s Power Forwards like Love, Griffin, Aldridge, Randolph, Lee and even Dirk, though Dirk is better than the guys I name, none play defense.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches