Jul 30, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT
Even if Rose has permanently lost explosiveness and no longer will contend for the top honor (not at all a given but also very plausible), Durant and LeBron alone make it tough for anyone new to break through.
But if anyone has a shot, it’s Anthony Davis.
Durant sees that.
As reported by SLAM magazine in a recent profile of New Orleans forward Anthony Davis, when Davis texted congratulations to Durant on winning league MVP, Durant responded back to Davis that the 21-year-old is headed for the honor someday.
“You on your way to get it,” read Durant’s text message back to Davis.
Davis was exceptional last year.
Though injuries shortened his season, there was a long stretch where Davis was the NBA’s best player outside Durant and LeBron. Davis’ offense has far surpassed reasonable expectations at this stage, and his defensive potential remains immense. And he’s just 21!
It’s difficult to see an MVP besides Durant or LeBron anytime soon, but eventually someone will unseat them.
I’m with Durant. Davis is on his way, and he might be coming sooner than most think.
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 1
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 7
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 23
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 7
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 42