Jul 30, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT
Even if Rose has permanently lost explosiveness and no longer will contend for the top honor (not at all a given but also very plausible), Durant and LeBron alone make it tough for anyone new to break through.
But if anyone has a shot, it’s Anthony Davis.
Durant sees that.
As reported by SLAM magazine in a recent profile of New Orleans forward Anthony Davis, when Davis texted congratulations to Durant on winning league MVP, Durant responded back to Davis that the 21-year-old is headed for the honor someday.
“You on your way to get it,” read Durant’s text message back to Davis.
Davis was exceptional last year.
Though injuries shortened his season, there was a long stretch where Davis was the NBA’s best player outside Durant and LeBron. Davis’ offense has far surpassed reasonable expectations at this stage, and his defensive potential remains immense. And he’s just 21!
It’s difficult to see an MVP besides Durant or LeBron anytime soon, but eventually someone will unseat them.
I’m with Durant. Davis is on his way, and he might be coming sooner than most think.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 17
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 25
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14