Jul 30, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT
Even if Rose has permanently lost explosiveness and no longer will contend for the top honor (not at all a given but also very plausible), Durant and LeBron alone make it tough for anyone new to break through.
But if anyone has a shot, it’s Anthony Davis.
Durant sees that.
As reported by SLAM magazine in a recent profile of New Orleans forward Anthony Davis, when Davis texted congratulations to Durant on winning league MVP, Durant responded back to Davis that the 21-year-old is headed for the honor someday.
“You on your way to get it,” read Durant’s text message back to Davis.
Davis was exceptional last year.
Though injuries shortened his season, there was a long stretch where Davis was the NBA’s best player outside Durant and LeBron. Davis’ offense has far surpassed reasonable expectations at this stage, and his defensive potential remains immense. And he’s just 21!
It’s difficult to see an MVP besides Durant or LeBron anytime soon, but eventually someone will unseat them.
I’m with Durant. Davis is on his way, and he might be coming sooner than most think.
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 3
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 4
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 15
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7