Jul 30, 2014, 4:29 PM EST
Even if Rose has permanently lost explosiveness and no longer will contend for the top honor (not at all a given but also very plausible), Durant and LeBron alone make it tough for anyone new to break through.
But if anyone has a shot, it’s Anthony Davis.
Durant sees that.
As reported by SLAM magazine in a recent profile of New Orleans forward Anthony Davis, when Davis texted congratulations to Durant on winning league MVP, Durant responded back to Davis that the 21-year-old is headed for the honor someday.
“You on your way to get it,” read Durant’s text message back to Davis.
Davis was exceptional last year.
Though injuries shortened his season, there was a long stretch where Davis was the NBA’s best player outside Durant and LeBron. Davis’ offense has far surpassed reasonable expectations at this stage, and his defensive potential remains immense. And he’s just 21!
It’s difficult to see an MVP besides Durant or LeBron anytime soon, but eventually someone will unseat them.
I’m with Durant. Davis is on his way, and he might be coming sooner than most think.
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 13
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 28
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16