Jul 30, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT
Even if Rose has permanently lost explosiveness and no longer will contend for the top honor (not at all a given but also very plausible), Durant and LeBron alone make it tough for anyone new to break through.
But if anyone has a shot, it’s Anthony Davis.
Durant sees that.
As reported by SLAM magazine in a recent profile of New Orleans forward Anthony Davis, when Davis texted congratulations to Durant on winning league MVP, Durant responded back to Davis that the 21-year-old is headed for the honor someday.
“You on your way to get it,” read Durant’s text message back to Davis.
Davis was exceptional last year.
Though injuries shortened his season, there was a long stretch where Davis was the NBA’s best player outside Durant and LeBron. Davis’ offense has far surpassed reasonable expectations at this stage, and his defensive potential remains immense. And he’s just 21!
It’s difficult to see an MVP besides Durant or LeBron anytime soon, but eventually someone will unseat them.
I’m with Durant. Davis is on his way, and he might be coming sooner than most think.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 5
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36