Jul 30, 2014, 1:30 AM EDT
The Cleveland guard expanded on his one-word (albeit elongated) response to a question on Twitter.
Waiters, via Chris Haynes of CSN Northwest:
“I want to start and I believe that I should at the two,” Waiters told CSNNW.com.
“I just say how I feel,” he said. “I’m going to do whatever is best for the team, of course, but at the end of the day, I’m a man and I’m confident in myself. I’ve always been a guy that gives it right to you. I’ve never been a guy that plays that political stuff. I was brought up that way. I’m straightforward. I give my honest opinion. I’m not going to sit here and hide. They asked a question and I tell you.”
This is why I encourage people to speak more openly with the media.
I did not read Waiters’ tweet this way at all. With limited contextual clues, I took it as him politicking for the starting role via social media.
Instead, he was doing the opposite – expressing his honest thoughts.
I wish more players would do that. I really respect where Waiters is coming from.
I don’t believe Waiters is good enough to start long-term, and the Cavaliers should start LeBron James and Andrew Wiggins on the wings as presently constructed – though a Kevin Love trade could change the roster makeup.
But this test – explaining what he really meant – Waiters aced. The next challenge will be handling coming of the bench if that’s what David Blatt asks of him.
Waiters might not accept resigning himself to a reserve role personally, but he still might handle it well enough outwardly. Before we blast Waiters for being selfish, let’s give him a chance to handle the situation – if it comes up.
Maybe he’ll come back next season improved and deserving of a starting spot, though I’m not counting on that.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 19
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 25
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14