Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back”

Jul 30, 2014, 6:59 PM EST

LAS VEGAS — Three days into Team USA training camp for the World Cup and the reviews are coming in on Derrick Rose — and they are glowing.

“Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back,” coach Mike Krzyzewski said.

“He’s playing well,” fellow Chicagoan Anthony Davis added. “He’s playing out of his mind. He’s being Derrick Rose.”

Krzyzewski admitted he didn’t know what he was going to get out of Rose at camp, nobody did after the former MVP missed the past couple seasons following a couple of knee surgeries. But Rose has shown both some explosiveness and a more mature game, being more of a floor general than just a scorer.

“(Key) for us not to put a cap on him, just let him go, let’s see, let it out. And he’s done that, even on the defensive end,” Krzyzewski said.

On a perimeter heavy team it’s defense that is going to determine which guards will make the cut, and that is an end where Rose is using his athleticism to his advantage so far. He only tends to be on the court for short bursts of time (this is true of most of the players in the scrimmages here) but when he’s out there he’s going hard like the Derrick Rose of old.

Rose says he having fun being back on the court, he smiling more than he did in the past. He’s savoring the experience.

“This right here is just to knock off the rust and prepare me for the World Championships if I make the team, and get ready for the season if I don’t,” Rose said.

He’s even having more fun with Bulls coach and USA assistant coach Tom Thibodeau.

“Thibs cool man, he’s not yelling at me the whole time so he’s fine. Just being calm. I like this Thibs, he seems happy,” Rose said.

The USA is going to play small and fast, and that is fitting Rose well so far. We’ll see more of that in the big Team USA scrimmage on Friday night.

“Just play as hard as I can, push the ball, get people in that groove, and play defense, that’s my job,” Rose said.

1. antistratfordian - Jul 30, 2014 at 7:16 PM

I kind of know what it’s like to try to come back after injury and play great in camp and practice. Things do change in games though. I had my coach yell at me at halftime once, “DRIVE!!!!! Why aren’t you driving!?!? You do it all the time in practice!”

I didn’t know what to say. It was just different… in practice, or playing pickup, I never though about my injury… but in real games I did, and became hesitant. I had this inkling way in the back of my head that if I planted my foot to burst with real game speed and intention that something was going to pop. It was very frustrating.

• chicitybulls - Jul 30, 2014 at 7:51 PM

That just means you didn’t have that killer instinct. Most elite athletes have that and wont hesitate.

• fanofthegame79 - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:42 PM

You do realize that your boy, Rose, missed playoff games as a professional (aka elite athlete) because of “muscle memory” issues…..and you’re going to criticize a dude for hesitating in a game?? I’m at a loss.

• chicitybulls - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:50 PM

It was more than just muscle memory. He felt he wouldn’t be effective which would be detrimental to the team. If you dont think you can contribute you shouldn’t be on the floor….at all. You shouldn’t try to come back when you’ve been out all season during a playoff game. That’s what non-athletic people say on websites and comment sections. I just know after my own surgery for the same thing (meniscus) my first game back there was no hesitation. I can probably say the same for Russell Westbrook looking from the outside. But go ahead, defend YOUR boy anti.

• fanofthegame79 - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:55 AM

Westbrook made it back a hell of a lot quicker than Rose. There have been a slew of athletes that have undergone surgery recently and all of them have made it back quicker than Rose. We’ll see how he performs this season, if he can last an entire season.

• chicitybulls - Jul 31, 2014 at 11:08 AM

And if/when he does you’ll still talk ish. Just the sad little person you are. It’s life.

• fanofthegame79 - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:53 PM

You don’t know me at all, so I don’t appreciate your snide remark. I’m simply calling a spade a spade. If he’s able to come back at close to what he was before, all respect to him. But I wasn’t a fan of how he seemed to handle his injuries (or rather, his return) compared to other athletes with similar injuries and surgeries. When he plays, I have no “ish” to talk.

• antistratfordian - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Oh please. It has nothing to do with killer instinct. I was always the closer. The problem was two-fold, and the same reason why Rose and Kobe didn’t play well when they came back last season. One, you lie to yourself and say you’re over it – how you perform in practice convinces you that you’re probably over it – but you’re really not over it. Two, things are happening on the court pretty fast, and it’s hard enough just to stay sharp without an injury – but when you’re coming back from a major injury, every decision you make on the court triggers an additional, uncontrollable mental calculation of how that decision may affect your injured area. That slows you down. This happens on some level for EVERY player coming back from a major injury – I don’t care who you are.

It just takes times to get those thoughts out of your brain and play off instinct again. I eventually got back to form – fully – after two years.

• chicitybulls - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:26 PM

I would say everyone is different. Speaking for myself and myself only, I had no hesitation. Zero. Maybe it was adrenaline and excitement from being back on the floor in competition after being out for 8 months and missing it but I was just happy to be back out and contribute for my team. Didn’t look like Westbrook was hesitant either. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn’t but it didn’t look like it.

But it goes back to what I said, everyone is different which is why people saying what Rose should have or shouldn’t have done is ridiculous.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Yeah, I’m sure your experiences in 8th grade Boys and Girls club intramurals is just like Rose’s experiences as a professional basketball player.

• antistratfordian - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Yeah, it wasn’t in 8th grade. I get what you’re trying to say, but it’s pretty much the same at every level.

• bringin1234 - Jul 31, 2014 at 8:57 AM

LOL! I feel like he thinks he lost his shot at the show because he sprained his ankle in intramurals

2. 4thquartermagic - Jul 30, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Practice?… I mean we’re talking about practice. Not a game… not a game!… practice?!

3. grantgoodman93 - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Yyyyyyeesssss. I want D Rose to come back and kill it. I was watching his highlights the other night and forgot how incredibly quick and agile he was.

4. chicitybulls - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Really looking forward to watching the scrimmage on Friday.

5. innovativethinking87 - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:47 PM

What are they suppose to say? “Rose played bad”? Come on now, we’ll save judgement when the season starts

• money2long - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:58 PM

How about coach k wouldn’t gas him up so highly.

• chicitybulls - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:05 PM

I mean it’s funny because I’m all for waiting and seeing. I dont know (actually no one knows) how he will play or what he will do when the season starts. All anyone can do is wait and see. The thing is we know that some people will never give him credit if he plays well throughout the season. I’ll go out on a limb and say that every article written about the Bulls or Rose this upcoming season someone (more likely more than one) will say something along the lines of “until he gets hurt” or “lets see if he makes it through the season”. And if he does play well and is back to his old self then those same people will say “lets see if he can do it 2 years in a row” or something along those lines. Sad really. Just sit back and watch and enjoy great basketball. There’s nothing wrong with that. I promise.

• bringin1234 - Jul 31, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Im just waiting for Reggie to open his trap again. Every time his brother speaks to the media here in Chicago, I want someone to just tell him to STFU

• chicitybulls - Jul 31, 2014 at 11:09 AM

I don’t care about that. I’m just ready to see the man on the court again.

• bringin1234 - Jul 31, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Me too man me too…. Bought those playoff edition d roses a few years ago and I think they’re cursed cause a week later he went down…. Excited he’s comin back

• chicago240 - Jul 31, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Best Case – Returns to awe inspiring form, stays healthy, plays under control and doesn’t gouge the Bulls with a new contract in a couple years knowing that Bulls fans endured 2 years of paid rehabilitation. Worse case – He re-injures his knee after 10 games and is out again. Middle case – Plays 60 games a year with nominal injuries, a star but not a superstar, and demands a max contract again thereby hamstringing the Bulls’ budget. I’m an optimist hoping for the Best Case.

• chicitybulls - Jul 31, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I don’t think he’ll demand a max contract. He doesn’t seem like that type of guy.

6. blogsk3tball - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Good on Rose – He’s one of the only guys left with that old school mentality on and off the court.

The League is much better with him in it. Hope he does well.

7. shanelsweet - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:29 PM

If defense is going to determine who makes the team, then I’m feeling real good about the chances of JWall ’cause he’s a beast on defense. As for DRose, could we read about what some other player than ADavis thinks, please. It’s not like he’s ever played ball with DRose in his prime.

• chicago240 - Jul 31, 2014 at 9:30 AM

I’ll be really interested to see the defense they’re all talking about. It may just be me but in the majority of games I’ve watched, Derick seems to defend from behind as his man gets by him and Derrick desperately tries to catch up and swat a block from behind. Would love to see him use his speed to not let his opponent go by him all the time. He has great defensive highlights as a result, but the every day plays expose an opportunity for him to go to Jimmy Butler defense school.

8. daveshingle - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Why on Earth is Rose playing on Team USA when he can’t even finish an NBA season? Seem weird to anyone else ?

• wfon1 - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Finally. Someone said it.

• calkinsrob - Jul 31, 2014 at 10:30 AM

he needs to get his legs under him and develop some confidence before he plays games that truly matter in the regular season. Bulls wanted him to do this. Last time Rose played in the summer for team USA he won the MVP award that year. I love this. It sounds like he may be able to return to Allstar/mvp form.

9. goldmember21 - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Exactly^

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches