Jul 29, 2014, 8:50 PM EST
Orlando is becoming a refuge for players who couldn’t cut it with the Pistons (which doesn’t exactly speak well for the Magic).
Jason Maxiell and Ben Gordon headed south, following Orlando assistant general manager Scott Perry, who previously worked in Detroit’s front office under Joe Dumars.
Now, Peyton Siva – whom the Pistons drafted No. 56 in 2013, after Perry already left, and waived before having to guarantee his contract this summer – is following the pipeline.
Siva, entering his second season out of Louisville, is clinging to his NBA life.
Marc J. Spears of Yahoo Sports:
Joshua Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel:
For the Magic to retain Siva’s rights, he counts against their roster and so does his salary. They could assign him to the D-League to get him experience, but he’d still count the same.
Siva could stick as Orlando’s third point guard behind Elfrid Payton and Luke Ridnour. However, Victor Oladipo, Evan Fournier and Ben Gordon can play lead guard, so the Magic might roll with just two true point guards.
But Siva isn’t necessarily competing with just other members of the backcourt.
Orlando has 15 players under contract, including Dewayne Dedmon, whose contract is unguaranteed until the regular season begins. The competition for the Magic’s final roster spot could very well come down to Siva and Dedmon. Even if the winner (if there is one) gets sent to the D-League, at least he’ll get an NBA salary.
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 0
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 5
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23