Jul 29, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
Jason Kidd has never hid his respect for Gary Payton.
Kidd grew up in Oakland behind Payton, learning from the former Seattle SuperSonic. You can hear Kidd express his admiration for Payton in the above video.
Now the coach of the Bucks, Kidd is positioned to take advantage of Payton’s knowledge once again.
Gery Woelfel of the Racine Journal Times (hat tip: Matt Moore of Eye on Basketball):
There would definitely be something cool about Kidd and Payton uniting, and that would be a lot of point guard knowledge for Brandon Knight, Nate Wolters, Kendall Marshall and even Giannis Antetokounmpo to draw from.
I also like the idea of Payton joining Byron Scott, officially hired since Woelfel’s report, and teaching Jeremy Lin to defend better. If The Glove could help him on that end of the court, Lin might become a strong NBA starter once again.
Either way, I’d like to see Payton back in the league if for no other reason than the trash talking from the bench.
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 6
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 13
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 33
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 21
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 15
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 21
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 11
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 23