Jul 29, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
Jason Kidd has never hid his respect for Gary Payton.
Kidd grew up in Oakland behind Payton, learning from the former Seattle SuperSonic. You can hear Kidd express his admiration for Payton in the above video.
Now the coach of the Bucks, Kidd is positioned to take advantage of Payton’s knowledge once again.
Gery Woelfel of the Racine Journal Times (hat tip: Matt Moore of Eye on Basketball):
There would definitely be something cool about Kidd and Payton uniting, and that would be a lot of point guard knowledge for Brandon Knight, Nate Wolters, Kendall Marshall and even Giannis Antetokounmpo to draw from.
I also like the idea of Payton joining Byron Scott, officially hired since Woelfel’s report, and teaching Jeremy Lin to defend better. If The Glove could help him on that end of the court, Lin might become a strong NBA starter once again.
Either way, I’d like to see Payton back in the league if for no other reason than the trash talking from the bench.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18