Jul 29, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
Jason Kidd has never hid his respect for Gary Payton.
Kidd grew up in Oakland behind Payton, learning from the former Seattle SuperSonic. You can hear Kidd express his admiration for Payton in the above video.
Now the coach of the Bucks, Kidd is positioned to take advantage of Payton’s knowledge once again.
Gery Woelfel of the Racine Journal Times (hat tip: Matt Moore of Eye on Basketball):
There would definitely be something cool about Kidd and Payton uniting, and that would be a lot of point guard knowledge for Brandon Knight, Nate Wolters, Kendall Marshall and even Giannis Antetokounmpo to draw from.
I also like the idea of Payton joining Byron Scott, officially hired since Woelfel’s report, and teaching Jeremy Lin to defend better. If The Glove could help him on that end of the court, Lin might become a strong NBA starter once again.
Either way, I’d like to see Payton back in the league if for no other reason than the trash talking from the bench.
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 4
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 16
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8