Jul 29, 2014, 11:44 AM EST
Jason Kidd has never hid his respect for Gary Payton.
Kidd grew up in Oakland behind Payton, learning from the former Seattle SuperSonic. You can hear Kidd express his admiration for Payton in the above video.
Now the coach of the Bucks, Kidd is positioned to take advantage of Payton’s knowledge once again.
Gery Woelfel of the Racine Journal Times (hat tip: Matt Moore of Eye on Basketball):
There would definitely be something cool about Kidd and Payton uniting, and that would be a lot of point guard knowledge for Brandon Knight, Nate Wolters, Kendall Marshall and even Giannis Antetokounmpo to draw from.
I also like the idea of Payton joining Byron Scott, officially hired since Woelfel’s report, and teaching Jeremy Lin to defend better. If The Glove could help him on that end of the court, Lin might become a strong NBA starter once again.
Either way, I’d like to see Payton back in the league if for no other reason than the trash talking from the bench.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 10
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0