Jul 29, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
Ivan Johnson sure made an impression at summer league.
Returning from China, the former Atlanta Hawk vigorously wants back in the NBA, and this is a major step in the right direction.
The Dallas Mavericks announced today that they have signed free agent forward Ivan Johnson.
There are conflicting reports about terms of the contract.
Enea Trapani of Sportando:
Dwain Price of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:
The level of Johnson’s guarantee could be crucial. Not only does it offer him assurance in case the Mavericks waive him before the season, it might determine whether they waive him in the first place.
Johnson gives Dallas 16 players – one more than the regular-season limit.
Rookie forward Eric Griffin has just $150,000 of his contract guaranteed. If Johnson and Griffin play at similar levels during training camp, the player with the smaller guarantee would likely be waived.
Even with this contract, Johnson is not a lock to play in the NBA next season, but if he does, he’ll add a little toughness to the talent-rich Mavericks. He’d have a niche, which only helps his case to make the final roster.
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 0
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 5
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10
- LeBron James lifts Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers to 3-0 lead over Celtics 13
- PBT Extra: Thin bench becomes big issue for Clippers against Spurs 7