Jul 29, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
Ivan Johnson sure made an impression at summer league.
Returning from China, the former Atlanta Hawk vigorously wants back in the NBA, and this is a major step in the right direction.
The Dallas Mavericks announced today that they have signed free agent forward Ivan Johnson.
There are conflicting reports about terms of the contract.
Enea Trapani of Sportando:
Dwain Price of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:
The level of Johnson’s guarantee could be crucial. Not only does it offer him assurance in case the Mavericks waive him before the season, it might determine whether they waive him in the first place.
Johnson gives Dallas 16 players – one more than the regular-season limit.
Rookie forward Eric Griffin has just $150,000 of his contract guaranteed. If Johnson and Griffin play at similar levels during training camp, the player with the smaller guarantee would likely be waived.
Even with this contract, Johnson is not a lock to play in the NBA next season, but if he does, he’ll add a little toughness to the talent-rich Mavericks. He’d have a niche, which only helps his case to make the final roster.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 43
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 6
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5