Jul 29, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
Ivan Johnson sure made an impression at summer league.
Returning from China, the former Atlanta Hawk vigorously wants back in the NBA, and this is a major step in the right direction.
The Dallas Mavericks announced today that they have signed free agent forward Ivan Johnson.
There are conflicting reports about terms of the contract.
Enea Trapani of Sportando:
Dwain Price of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:
The level of Johnson’s guarantee could be crucial. Not only does it offer him assurance in case the Mavericks waive him before the season, it might determine whether they waive him in the first place.
Johnson gives Dallas 16 players – one more than the regular-season limit.
Rookie forward Eric Griffin has just $150,000 of his contract guaranteed. If Johnson and Griffin play at similar levels during training camp, the player with the smaller guarantee would likely be waived.
Even with this contract, Johnson is not a lock to play in the NBA next season, but if he does, he’ll add a little toughness to the talent-rich Mavericks. He’d have a niche, which only helps his case to make the final roster.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18