Jul 29, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
Ivan Johnson sure made an impression at summer league.
Returning from China, the former Atlanta Hawk vigorously wants back in the NBA, and this is a major step in the right direction.
The Dallas Mavericks announced today that they have signed free agent forward Ivan Johnson.
There are conflicting reports about terms of the contract.
Enea Trapani of Sportando:
Dwain Price of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:
The level of Johnson’s guarantee could be crucial. Not only does it offer him assurance in case the Mavericks waive him before the season, it might determine whether they waive him in the first place.
Johnson gives Dallas 16 players – one more than the regular-season limit.
Rookie forward Eric Griffin has just $150,000 of his contract guaranteed. If Johnson and Griffin play at similar levels during training camp, the player with the smaller guarantee would likely be waived.
Even with this contract, Johnson is not a lock to play in the NBA next season, but if he does, he’ll add a little toughness to the talent-rich Mavericks. He’d have a niche, which only helps his case to make the final roster.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 10
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 19
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14