Jul 29, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
Turns out, contrary to a previous report, Irving didn’t actually get the full 30 percent.
Irving will receive just 27.5 percent of an adjusted NBA salary cap if he triggers the Derrick Rose rule by winning MVP or getting voted an All-Star starter next season, according to Mark Deeks of ShamSports.com.
The actual amount of money at stake won’t be known until the 2015-16 salary cap is set next year, once Irving playing out the final season of his rookie-scale contract. But using the NBA’s projected salary cap of $66.3 million, we can estimate the figures.
- The burgundy line represents what Irving would make if he doesn’t win MVP or get voted an All-Star starter next season.
- The gold line represents what he would make if he wins MVP or gets voted an All-Star starter next season
- The black line represents what Irving would have made if he won MVP or got voted an All-Star starter next season – and had signed for the full max.
If Irving neither wins MVP or gets voted an All-Starter, his contract extension will be worth the max possible amount (about $89 million). If he achieves either of those honors, he’d gain about $9 million. However, he could have gained more than $16 million.
By leaving that potential $7 million on the table, Irving set himself up to become a free agent sooner, 2019 rather than 2020. In about five years – or one if Irving reaches neither applicable Rose-rule condition – we’ll know whether that paid off for him.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 11
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 6
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 32
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2