Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did.

Jul 29, 2014, 7:51 PM EST

2014 USA Basketball Men's National Team Practice Getty Images

LAS VEGAS — Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about him. Specifically, where he might play starting in the fall of 2016 after he becomes a free agent and signs a new contract.

“It’s been talked about. Everybody’s asked me about it every time I go on Instagram or Twitter. All my friends ask me about it,” Durant said at Team USA Camp in Las Vegas. “So I’m not going to sit here and act like I’m naive to the fact that people think about that stuff. But I just tell everybody, ‘Look, I’m here in Oklahoma City. I love it here. Who knows what’ll happen?'”

That’s not exactly going to quiet the chatter. Nor is it going to tamp down the hopes of Wizards fans (Durant is a Washington D.C. native) or other fan bases from New York to Los Angeles that believe they have a shot at Durant in 2016.

Durant was pressed by reporters to talk about his future Tuesday after another day of Team USA practice in Las Vegas. To his credit, he didn’t dodge the questions, he answered them seemingly honestly.

Durant genuinely doesn’t seem to know what he’s going to do in two summers — nor should he. That’s a long time away. He very well may decide to stay with the Thunder (especially if they win a ring). But two years is a couple lifetimes in the NBA and, as Durant said, who knows what will happen.

If you’re looking for clues to how Durant is thinking, you can try to parse out what he said when asked what he thought of LeBron James’ decision to return to his home and play for the Cavaliers again.

“It was class act,” Durant said of LeBron’s letter. “Great move to do a letter, that was pretty cool. It’s fun to see a guy think about more than just basketball for once, or themselves. I’m not saying LeBron always thinks about himself. But he thought about ‘where do we come from?’ Northeast Ohio. How he can affect some little kids and be an advisor for them. I love that. I love that. So many guys get criticized for making their decision on what’s best for them instead of what’s best for everybody else. We got to respect him. I applauded him. I texted him to tell him congratulations on his decision. I was happy for him.”

Expect Durant to take a big picture view like that when it’s his turn. What does that mean? It’s impossible to say two years out.

Which means the speculation and chatter are just going to grow. For a long time.

1. jattsoorma - Jul 29, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Not gonna lie it would be pretty cool to see KD play in DC with beal and wall

• presidentialpeter - Jul 29, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Shooting/scoring ability between Beal and KD along with Wall’s playmaking ability would be insane, especially if Wall continues to develop his three point shot.

2. antistratfordian - Jul 29, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Not very reas.suring if you’re an OKC fan.

3. yesser12 - Jul 29, 2014 at 8:13 PM

I hope he stays with OKC but it will probably take a title to do that. They can already offer him the most money. He gets a ton of endorsements and even had a movie, so marketing won’t really change at all by leaving. It just comes down to winning.

• sportsfan18 - Jul 29, 2014 at 8:39 PM

i agree

it would be tough for him to leave if they win a title, not impossible, just tougher… especially if they get the title in two seasons from now.

how could a player who just won a title leave? if they did win it all in 15/16 i mean.

• fanofthegame79 - Jul 29, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Or would it? Think about it like this: if the Thunder wins a title, Durant can say he won a title for the team that drafted him……and then he can go home (to DC) without persecution.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 30, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Exactly how I was thinking. Good comment cause it’s so true.

4. mrlitl - Jul 29, 2014 at 8:14 PM

I wonder if this will be a story for two years. I really hope not. The media sucks.

• fanofthegame79 - Jul 29, 2014 at 8:48 PM

It’s only just begun. Durant and LeBron can be free agents at the same time, there’s going to be TONS of stories about their individual opportunities as well as the possibility to play together.

5. steelerfanforlife - Jul 29, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Bulls fan here. I live in the DC area and have always made a point not to root against any Washington team unless they’re playing my team. KD in Washington would be just what this town needs! I couldn’t imagine how the local fans would react!!

6. namaths5thofwhiskey - Jul 29, 2014 at 8:47 PM

He doesnt owe OKC anything. He should leave as soon as he’s a FA.

• fanofthegame79 - Jul 29, 2014 at 8:50 PM

I am in full agreement that a player who fulfills their contractual obligations can leave at their free will, but that’s hardly the only reason to leave. If Durant likes the city and who he plays with, why leave?

7. blogsk3tball - Jul 29, 2014 at 9:51 PM

I think there is a trend of players not wanting to return home because of the number of tickets and people asking to borrow money they would have to deal with

8. dubblelznhell - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:24 PM

How he can effect some little kids and be an advisor for them — it’s, “affect”. With an ‘A’.

9. jucam1 - Jul 29, 2014 at 11:29 PM

The Faux Sonics outsmarted themselves, trading Harden for less than pennies on the dollar is why they won’t win a title and Durant will be in DC in 2 years and Westbrook in LA in 3. Then continuously not stepping up or paying a bit if the luxury tax to get a piece to get them over the hump has guaranteed Durants is gone

• handsomerob86 - Jul 30, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I agree with the Durant in DC in 2 years part. And I totally am okay with the Thunders owner getting what he deserves. But I think that Westbrook will stay if Durant leaves, because the thunder will have a reaction like the Heat did with Chris Bosh (Westbrook will suddenly become a supermax guy). ON the flip, if Durant stays, I think it will be very hard for them to keep Westbrook and be competitive unless the cap goes up substantially.

10. sylpkt - Jul 29, 2014 at 11:39 PM

In two years, barring serious injury to Westbrook or Ibaka, there won’t be a better spot than OKC for Durant. Everyone wants to talk about how the Thunder are cheap, but it really isn’t true. The only teams that paid more salary were both LA teams, Both NY teams, Chicago and Miami. The current CBA made Harden a luxury that no team outside of NY & LA couldn’t and wouldn’t afford (and it wasn’t as simple as amnestying Perk). If not for injuries in the playoffs to Westbrook & Ibaka the last couple years, OKC would have 2 championships.

There won’t be any other team that has 3 stars in their prime (all three will be 27) and role players on reasonable contracts. Wizards will be close, with Beal & Wall. I think ultimately it will come down to Durant wanting to stay in the Western Conference, opposite LeBron, and staying in OKC for more money and years.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 30, 2014 at 12:53 AM

If there was such thing as a sideways thumb, this would be the postercomment for such a thing. Can’t thumb up, but can’t thumb down.

11. jattsoorma - Aug 6, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Reblogged this on jattsoorma.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches