Jul 29, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Chris Wallace’s replacement isn’t arriving just yet.
The Grizzlies reportedly planned – and who knows, still might plan – to hire an apprentice for Wallace to train. Then, they’d promote that person to general manager and replace Wallace.
But with Ed Stefanski the latest addition to Memphis’ front office, Wallace isn’t going anywhere anytime soon(supposedly).
I don’t know whether there’s a more-fitting way for the chaotic Grizzlies to announce this – naming their current general manager the new general manager with a tweet that contains, at least as of this writing, a bad link.
Best I can tell, Wallace has remained Memphis’ “general manager” since being hired in 2007. He was definitely general manager last season, though since-fired CEO Jason Levien seemed to run the show with the help of Stu Lash and John Hollinger, the latter of whom is still around.
So, I don’t know where the idea emerged Wallace was an “interim” general manager, though the Grizzlies’ confusing organizational struggle never left clear who was exactly running basketball operations.
Now and once again, that’s Wallace. I think.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 6
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 43
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 19
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70