Jul 29, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Chris Wallace’s replacement isn’t arriving just yet.
The Grizzlies reportedly planned – and who knows, still might plan – to hire an apprentice for Wallace to train. Then, they’d promote that person to general manager and replace Wallace.
But with Ed Stefanski the latest addition to Memphis’ front office, Wallace isn’t going anywhere anytime soon(supposedly).
I don’t know whether there’s a more-fitting way for the chaotic Grizzlies to announce this – naming their current general manager the new general manager with a tweet that contains, at least as of this writing, a bad link.
Best I can tell, Wallace has remained Memphis’ “general manager” since being hired in 2007. He was definitely general manager last season, though since-fired CEO Jason Levien seemed to run the show with the help of Stu Lash and John Hollinger, the latter of whom is still around.
So, I don’t know where the idea emerged Wallace was an “interim” general manager, though the Grizzlies’ confusing organizational struggle never left clear who was exactly running basketball operations.
Now and once again, that’s Wallace. I think.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8