Jul 29, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Chris Wallace’s replacement isn’t arriving just yet.
The Grizzlies reportedly planned – and who knows, still might plan – to hire an apprentice for Wallace to train. Then, they’d promote that person to general manager and replace Wallace.
But with Ed Stefanski the latest addition to Memphis’ front office, Wallace isn’t going anywhere anytime soon(supposedly).
I don’t know whether there’s a more-fitting way for the chaotic Grizzlies to announce this – naming their current general manager the new general manager with a tweet that contains, at least as of this writing, a bad link.
Best I can tell, Wallace has remained Memphis’ “general manager” since being hired in 2007. He was definitely general manager last season, though since-fired CEO Jason Levien seemed to run the show with the help of Stu Lash and John Hollinger, the latter of whom is still around.
So, I don’t know where the idea emerged Wallace was an “interim” general manager, though the Grizzlies’ confusing organizational struggle never left clear who was exactly running basketball operations.
Now and once again, that’s Wallace. I think.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 9
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 16
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18