Jul 29, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Chris Wallace’s replacement isn’t arriving just yet.
The Grizzlies reportedly planned – and who knows, still might plan – to hire an apprentice for Wallace to train. Then, they’d promote that person to general manager and replace Wallace.
But with Ed Stefanski the latest addition to Memphis’ front office, Wallace isn’t going anywhere anytime soon(supposedly).
I don’t know whether there’s a more-fitting way for the chaotic Grizzlies to announce this – naming their current general manager the new general manager with a tweet that contains, at least as of this writing, a bad link.
Best I can tell, Wallace has remained Memphis’ “general manager” since being hired in 2007. He was definitely general manager last season, though since-fired CEO Jason Levien seemed to run the show with the help of Stu Lash and John Hollinger, the latter of whom is still around.
So, I don’t know where the idea emerged Wallace was an “interim” general manager, though the Grizzlies’ confusing organizational struggle never left clear who was exactly running basketball operations.
Now and once again, that’s Wallace. I think.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85