Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Charles Barkley is still tied to the city of Philadelphia, where he started his NBA career.
That city has been rocked by the tragic death of three innocent children, ages 7 to 15, who were selling fruit at a stand as a church fundraiser when they were run over by a car that had been carjacked not long before. It’s a sickening event that has left their mother critically wounded as well.
Barkley has stepped up and offered to pay for the funerals of the children, reports NBCPhiladelphia.com.
NBA legend and former Philadelphia 76er Charles Barkley has offered to pay for the funerals of three siblings killed after a carjacking went awry in the city last week, according to District Attorney Seth Williams.
Ten-year-old Thomas Reed, his 15-year-old sister Keiearra Williams and their 7-year-old brother Terrence Moore were mowed down by a SUV and ki
lled on a street corner in the Tioga section of the city Friday while selling fruit.
Barkley the analyst can grate on you after a while (although TNT’s Inside the NBA remains must-watch in large part because of him) but Barkley the person is giving and generous to a fault. Spend time around him, hear stories of him from food servers or limo drivers or just about anyone his life has touched, and you find a guy that feels fortunate for what he has and wants to give back.
This is both a great example of that and a great gesture.
For those that haven’t followed the story nationally, the men driving the SUV have been arrested and face charges of second-degree murder, robbery, carjacking, sexual assault and a few others. These guys should not see the outside of a prison ever again.
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 5
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10
- LeBron James lifts Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers to 3-0 lead over Celtics 13
- PBT Extra: Thin bench becomes big issue for Clippers against Spurs 7
- PBT Extra: Wizards’ backcourt owning matchup with Toronto 0