Jul 28, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski has a model that has worked well for Team USA — if you have the deepest pool of top athletes in the world use that. Pressure teams on defense, get out and run in transition.
It’s worked to the tune of gold medals at the last two Olympics and one at the World Championship four years ago.
And even with all the guys who have dropped out of the Team USA pool for this summers World Cup (the new name for the World Championships), the style for Team USA is not changing how it plays, Krzyzewski told Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
“Our roster is built on quickness, athleticism and shooting. We’ve won these last three competitions because we’ve been smart defensively, knowing team fouls, we’ve shot more free throws, we’ve passed the ball well, had more assists and we’ve really shot the ball well. It’s different shots than they get in the NBA. A lot of them are stationary threes. What we hope we can hold our own in is our rebounding and post defense because we don’t have a lot of depth there on the inside.”
Krzyzewski’s phrasing suggested a few guys are pretty much locks for the 12-man roster: Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis, James Harden, Paul George, Stephen Curry, Damian Lillard and Klay Thompson. All of that list makes sense to me except maybe Lillard — he could make the team but at point guard there is also Kyrie Irving, John Wall and Derrick Rose. Does Lillard defend well enough to make that cut? If you carry three then Curry, Irving and one more seem to be the logical calls to me. And if Rose really is back at 100 percent it’s going to be hard to leave him off.
The bottom line is the Americans certainly have the athleticism to overwhelm almost any team… but Spain will provide a different challenge with the Gasol brothers up front.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 17
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 25
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14