Jul 28, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski has a model that has worked well for Team USA — if you have the deepest pool of top athletes in the world use that. Pressure teams on defense, get out and run in transition.
It’s worked to the tune of gold medals at the last two Olympics and one at the World Championship four years ago.
And even with all the guys who have dropped out of the Team USA pool for this summers World Cup (the new name for the World Championships), the style for Team USA is not changing how it plays, Krzyzewski told Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
“Our roster is built on quickness, athleticism and shooting. We’ve won these last three competitions because we’ve been smart defensively, knowing team fouls, we’ve shot more free throws, we’ve passed the ball well, had more assists and we’ve really shot the ball well. It’s different shots than they get in the NBA. A lot of them are stationary threes. What we hope we can hold our own in is our rebounding and post defense because we don’t have a lot of depth there on the inside.”
Krzyzewski’s phrasing suggested a few guys are pretty much locks for the 12-man roster: Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis, James Harden, Paul George, Stephen Curry, Damian Lillard and Klay Thompson. All of that list makes sense to me except maybe Lillard — he could make the team but at point guard there is also Kyrie Irving, John Wall and Derrick Rose. Does Lillard defend well enough to make that cut? If you carry three then Curry, Irving and one more seem to be the logical calls to me. And if Rose really is back at 100 percent it’s going to be hard to leave him off.
The bottom line is the Americans certainly have the athleticism to overwhelm almost any team… but Spain will provide a different challenge with the Gasol brothers up front.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15