Jul 28, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
Minnesota is not going to find a Kevin Love replacement. Not really.
There are not guys with his skills sets floating around (which is why they can demand name players like Andrew Wiggins or Klay Thompson in trades). Love is a big man who can shoot the three, is one of the best rebounds in the game and is the best outlet passer in the NBA.
But if and when (more like when) Minnesota moves Love in a trade they will need someone to play his role, and they like the idea of that being Thaddeus Young of the Sixers, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
Sources told ESPN.com that the Wolves, while continuing to discuss trade proposals that would send Love to the Cleveland Cavaliers, have been exploring their options for acquiring Young from the Sixers, either through a separate transaction or as part of an expanded Love trade.
Whether Philadelphia proves willing to part with Young, though, remains to be seen.
They have been for a while, they just want the right mix of young players and/or picks in return. The Sixers are a rebuilding team acquiring young assets – Michael Carter-Williams, Nerlens Noel, Joel Embiid — and they want more they can put in that mix. Minnesota has picks and assets Philly could want.
Young is a very athletic forward, one who averaged 17.9 points a game last season and in the past has shown to be an efficient player when not forced to carry as much of a load as he was last season. He doesn’t shoot the three or rebound on the level of Love, but he is a quality player that could help Minnesota not go into full rebuilding mode after a deal.
Much like the Love trade itself, don’t expect this to come down soon, it will be closer to training camp. But it is something to watch for if and when (more likely when) the Love trade does go down.
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 1
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 1
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 14
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10