Jul 28, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
Blake Griffin decided not to play for Team USA in the World Cup this summer, which, in itself, is fine.
A lot of people were curious about the reason, but Griffin offered only a vague explanation:
However, right now I want to focus and dedicate 100 percent of my energy on improving and preparing for the upcoming season with the Clippers.
Turns out, he had a more-specific reason.
Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin withdrew from Team USA training camp for the FIBA World Cup last week because he was advised by doctors to give a small fracture in his back more time to heal before the start of the next NBA season, sources with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com.
Griffin is expected to make a full recovery from the injury, which sources say was suffered during the playoffs. However, doctors advised him to sit out of international competition this summer for precautionary reasons.
I’m not sure why this had to be leaked through anonymous sources rather than just announced initially. This certainly makes Griffin look better than the speculation that he just doesn’t care enough about representing his country.
If Griffin is injured, he should take all the time he feels he needs. It’s a bummer the Americans won’t have him in Spain later this summer, but Anthony Davis can take a larger role, and some combination of DeMarcus Cousins, Andre Drummond, Kenneth Faried and Paul Millsap can fill in behind Griffin.
The Clippers can’t so easily replace Griffin, and though it sounds minor in Shelburne’s description, a back fracture – especially for a big man – could be spun differently. Hopefully, there’s nothing more to this injury and sitting out the World Cup is enough to fully heal Griffin.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 5
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 21
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 26
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 29
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 39
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 29