Jul 28, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant fans love this quote because Dwyane Wade calls Kobe the second best of all time. It’s too early in the week to get into a pointless barstool debate like that, even though everyone rational knows he’s not (second best two-guard… maybe).
Rather I will focus on what Wade said about LeBron James.
You may have heard LeBron left the Miami Heat for the Cleveland Cavaliers. It made a little bit of news. Wade hadn’t spoken publicly about that until his youth camp in Chicago, where he was catching passes from Brandon Marshall and having kids asking him about flopping.
“Well, it used to be Kobe Bryant… the second best all time…. now, I have a new favorite player to play against… my former teammate, LeBron James.”
I love the Wade is competitive like that, you don’t get three rings and all the other accolades Wade has gotten without that kind of fire.
But this is not going to be a good matchup for Miami. I think right now Cleveland is a better team and — whether or not they land Kevin Love — one that will improve steadily over the coming years. The Heat are going to be what the Heat are going to be for a couple years — pretty good, entertaining, but not a contender. The Cavaliers will be.
Basically, Wade may be looking forward to competing with LeBron James but I don’t think he’s going to like how it ends.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 1
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 82
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20