Jul 28, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant fans love this quote because Dwyane Wade calls Kobe the second best of all time. It’s too early in the week to get into a pointless barstool debate like that, even though everyone rational knows he’s not (second best two-guard… maybe).
Rather I will focus on what Wade said about LeBron James.
You may have heard LeBron left the Miami Heat for the Cleveland Cavaliers. It made a little bit of news. Wade hadn’t spoken publicly about that until his youth camp in Chicago, where he was catching passes from Brandon Marshall and having kids asking him about flopping.
“Well, it used to be Kobe Bryant… the second best all time…. now, I have a new favorite player to play against… my former teammate, LeBron James.”
I love the Wade is competitive like that, you don’t get three rings and all the other accolades Wade has gotten without that kind of fire.
But this is not going to be a good matchup for Miami. I think right now Cleveland is a better team and — whether or not they land Kevin Love — one that will improve steadily over the coming years. The Heat are going to be what the Heat are going to be for a couple years — pretty good, entertaining, but not a contender. The Cavaliers will be.
Basically, Wade may be looking forward to competing with LeBron James but I don’t think he’s going to like how it ends.
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 9
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 29
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 31
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 42
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24