Jul 28, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant fans love this quote because Dwyane Wade calls Kobe the second best of all time. It’s too early in the week to get into a pointless barstool debate like that, even though everyone rational knows he’s not (second best two-guard… maybe).
Rather I will focus on what Wade said about LeBron James.
You may have heard LeBron left the Miami Heat for the Cleveland Cavaliers. It made a little bit of news. Wade hadn’t spoken publicly about that until his youth camp in Chicago, where he was catching passes from Brandon Marshall and having kids asking him about flopping.
“Well, it used to be Kobe Bryant… the second best all time…. now, I have a new favorite player to play against… my former teammate, LeBron James.”
I love the Wade is competitive like that, you don’t get three rings and all the other accolades Wade has gotten without that kind of fire.
But this is not going to be a good matchup for Miami. I think right now Cleveland is a better team and — whether or not they land Kevin Love — one that will improve steadily over the coming years. The Heat are going to be what the Heat are going to be for a couple years — pretty good, entertaining, but not a contender. The Cavaliers will be.
Basically, Wade may be looking forward to competing with LeBron James but I don’t think he’s going to like how it ends.
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 4
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 18
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11