Jul 27, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
Griffin gave no other reason than wanting to focus on his upcoming season with the Clippers, while Love’s likelihood of being traded prohibited him from taking any injury risks by competing with Team USA this summer.
There are a few more than serviceable options on the team, and honestly, they probably would have been just fine playing in the World Championships without making any additions. But if nothing more than for the sake of depth, a last-minute invitation was sent out nonetheless.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
In the wake of multiple withdrawals of frontcourt candidates for the national team, USA Basketball has invited Atlanta Hawks forward Paul Millsap to its training camp this week in Las Vegas, sources told ESPN.
After initially planning to make no roster additions after the withdrawals of Kevin Love, Blake Griffin and LaMarcus Aldridge, USAB officials decided to bring Millsap in as a potential floor-spacer with the ability to play small forward or power forward internationally.
Millsap’s addition puts the mini-camp group back up to 19 players, all of whom will be competing for a spot on the final roster of 12 that will play in the FIBA Basketball World Cup in Spain which begins at the end of August.
In addition to Millsap, who was an All-Star last season in his first year with the Hawks, guys like Andre Drummond, DeMarcus Cousins and Kenneth Faried will be the ones most likely to be at the top of the list to replace Love and Griffin in the frontcourt rotation.
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 0
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 16
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 41
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 7
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4