Jul 27, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Griffin gave no other reason than wanting to focus on his upcoming season with the Clippers, while Love’s likelihood of being traded prohibited him from taking any injury risks by competing with Team USA this summer.
There are a few more than serviceable options on the team, and honestly, they probably would have been just fine playing in the World Championships without making any additions. But if nothing more than for the sake of depth, a last-minute invitation was sent out nonetheless.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
In the wake of multiple withdrawals of frontcourt candidates for the national team, USA Basketball has invited Atlanta Hawks forward Paul Millsap to its training camp this week in Las Vegas, sources told ESPN.
After initially planning to make no roster additions after the withdrawals of Kevin Love, Blake Griffin and LaMarcus Aldridge, USAB officials decided to bring Millsap in as a potential floor-spacer with the ability to play small forward or power forward internationally.
Millsap’s addition puts the mini-camp group back up to 19 players, all of whom will be competing for a spot on the final roster of 12 that will play in the FIBA Basketball World Cup in Spain which begins at the end of August.
In addition to Millsap, who was an All-Star last season in his first year with the Hawks, guys like Andre Drummond, DeMarcus Cousins and Kenneth Faried will be the ones most likely to be at the top of the list to replace Love and Griffin in the frontcourt rotation.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48