Jul 27, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Summer League wasn’t always the mainstream event that it has become now.
The games used to be played at The Pyramid in Long Beach, CA, and were far less widely paid attention to than they are today. But it was always a place for rookies to get their first shot at NBA-level competition, and back in the summer of 1996, Kobe Bryant showed he immediately was one of the best players there.
The video clip above features Bryant dropping 36 points at Summer League in advance of his rookie season, and what’s most interesting is how many of his moves look so familiar, despite the endless hours of hard work he’s put into his game ever since.
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 17
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8