Jul 26, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Beasley was signed by Miami as a bit of a Hail Mary, on a minimum salary deal after he was waived by the Suns and when, frankly, no one else was interested. Beasley came into the league with the Heat, and played with Dwyane Wade and under Erik Spoelstra when he started, so the team believed they could tap into the talent and potential that to this point has been largely all but lost.
But the experiment ultimately failed. While Beasley appeared in 55 regular season games, he was unable to produce as a regular part of the rotation, and averaged career lows across the board in every meaningful statistical category. He played even less in the postseason, and one would think that if he had anything to contribute, the Heat would have welcomed it, especially in the Finals when they were completely overmatched.
Teams will always seek out reclamation projects on the cheap, however, and one report states that more than one of them may be looking at Beasley as a roster addition for next season.
Several teams have expressed interest in free agent Michael Beasley. Teams like the efficiency and maturity he showed last season in Miami.
Michael Beasley is currently training in LA with Kevin Durant. Lakers could make sense for Beasley. He’d be a good fit to fill out roster.
Next time I see Alex, I’ll smack him for attempting to curse the Lakers in this way.
But again, on a minimum salary deal, there are teams that will take a long hard look at Beasley next season. They’ll need to have a strong system in place with veteran players that have control of the locker room in order for him to have a chance to succeed, but in the right situation, a team will convince itself that they can be the ones to unlock all that potential, and get him to focus for an entire NBA season.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6