Jul 26, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Beasley was signed by Miami as a bit of a Hail Mary, on a minimum salary deal after he was waived by the Suns and when, frankly, no one else was interested. Beasley came into the league with the Heat, and played with Dwyane Wade and under Erik Spoelstra when he started, so the team believed they could tap into the talent and potential that to this point has been largely all but lost.
But the experiment ultimately failed. While Beasley appeared in 55 regular season games, he was unable to produce as a regular part of the rotation, and averaged career lows across the board in every meaningful statistical category. He played even less in the postseason, and one would think that if he had anything to contribute, the Heat would have welcomed it, especially in the Finals when they were completely overmatched.
Teams will always seek out reclamation projects on the cheap, however, and one report states that more than one of them may be looking at Beasley as a roster addition for next season.
Several teams have expressed interest in free agent Michael Beasley. Teams like the efficiency and maturity he showed last season in Miami.
Michael Beasley is currently training in LA with Kevin Durant. Lakers could make sense for Beasley. He’d be a good fit to fill out roster.
Next time I see Alex, I’ll smack him for attempting to curse the Lakers in this way.
But again, on a minimum salary deal, there are teams that will take a long hard look at Beasley next season. They’ll need to have a strong system in place with veteran players that have control of the locker room in order for him to have a chance to succeed, but in the right situation, a team will convince itself that they can be the ones to unlock all that potential, and get him to focus for an entire NBA season.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 5
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 12
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18