David Lee posts photo of his random NBA drug test

Jul 26, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

The NBA’s drug policy states that a player can be randomly tested up to twice during the offseason, and David Lee was kind enough to show us what that looks like.

No, this isn’t a trip into the bathroom stall.

But Lee posted a photo showing what happens when a league-sent representative shows up to your offseason home to conduct one of these mandatory tests.

Interestingly enough, the league doesn’t test for everything during the offseason.

From Larry Coon’s CBA FAQ:

Testing falls into two categories: reasonable cause and random. Reasonable cause testing occurs when the league or players association provides the program’s independent expert with information about a player’s use, possession or distribution of prohibited substances, and the expert believes that reasonable cause exists to order testing. If reasonable cause is found to exist, the player can be tested without notice up to four times in a six week period. Players can be subjected to random testing up to four times during a season and up to two times during an offseason (offseason testing is conducted for SPEDs and diuretics only). League-wide, the program will not conduct more than 1,525 tests during a season or more than 600 tests during an offseason.

This has nothing to do with Lee, but considering how relatively lax the testing policies are, it makes a suspension like the one J.R. Smith received last summer all the more difficult to understand.

1. cantonb0und13 - Jul 26, 2014 at 1:20 PM

I know someone who needs to take a drug test… cough money2long cough

• jimeejohnson - Jul 26, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Probably Richie from that deli with the rancid meat.

2. cantonb0und13 - Jul 26, 2014 at 1:24 PM

money2long is obsessed with me, so I have nightmares every night. 1-800-NeedHelpNow

• jimeejohnson - Jul 26, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Or maybe that pea brain who stole your username. Haven’t seen that punk loser around here. Only Mr. Wrong and Cruzan Cry Baby!!!

• cantonb0und13 - Jul 26, 2014 at 10:18 PM

You da man jimeejohnson!

3. ProBasketballPundit - Jul 26, 2014 at 1:48 PM

When they test urine they can really only test for elevated hormone levels. There’s no scientific process for discovering specific substances through urine from what I hear. I’d rather them do 2 blood tests than 6 urine tests.

• casualcommenter - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Correct. There’s a limit to how effective urine-only testing can be because only certain types of PED use show up in urine, and even then, the sensitivity isn’t that high. For example, there is no high quality urine test for HGH.

If you really want to catch as many potential PEDs as possible, you have to do regular blood testing. However, it’s unclear how committed the NBA and NBAPA really are to catching as many users as possible.

• zoomy123 - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:59 PM

I’m not even really sure it’s a matter of how committed people are. Personally, I wouldn’t be happy if a phlebotomist randomly showed up at my house during the offseason.

4. eugenesaxe1 - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:41 PM

” it makes a suspension like the one J.R. Smith received last summer all the more difficult to understand.”

What’s so hard to understand? He’s an idiot. Probable cause.

5. saint1997 - Jul 26, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I can’t figure out if the NBA is just a drug free culture or if there is a seedy underbelly and the NBA just doesn’t do anything about it

6. muhangis - Jul 27, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Who cares? Let the em smoke weed or delve into recreational substances, if they are doing their job and playing the game right, why should it matter even one grain of sand to you or me? And until one negative health effect is provided for use of HGH, it should not be banned. I take HGH myself for beneficiary of my own health, doing hours and hours of research on the growth hormone, before I reached the decision that it was SAFE to take it into my own body. and it has only been sheerly positive…. I feel much better, I sleep better, I eat better, much more natural energy, I no longer feel the back aches, and word is that I will live longer too.

IF ONE PERSON HERE CAN LIST ONE LONG OR SHORT TERM HEALTH DETRIMENT OR SIDE-EFFECT TO HGH, I AM VERY CURIOUS TO KNOW? [unless I have a tumor or cancer growing]

Until then, I know that HGH is highly SAFE and beneficial.

7. muhangis - Jul 27, 2014 at 12:54 AM

^ Yes to the surprise of some uneducated sheep here

8. muhangis - Jul 27, 2014 at 1:02 AM

And for those of you who are actually educated on HGH and took the time to actually read into facts or ask a doctor…. a big kudos to you

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches