Jul 25, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
One of my favorite little duels of Summer League was when Will Cherry and Casper Ware went mano-a-mano for a lengthy stretch of a Cavaliers vs. Sixers game in Las Vegas. These are two very quick, undersized point guards who want the ball in their hands and were trying hard to make an impression, trying to catch on as a third point guard in a league where carrying that guard is becoming more common.
Cherry was hard to miss even for a guy generously listed as 6’0” — on a team with Andrew Wiggins and Anthony Bennett he was the aggressor with the ball, never fearing to attack or take a shot. He was a gunner. He averaged 12.8 points a game but shot a very nice 52 percent doing so. The former Montana star played a few games in the D-League for the Canton Charge last season but made an impression in Las Vegas.
Enough that he is getting looks from Cleveland and Toronto, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
My guess is Cherry ends up with a make-good contract heading into training camp.
For a team looking for a third point guard who can come in and be a spark, put up points, be a fan favorite, and work hard in practice a guy like Cherry (or Ware) can be a good fit. Not on every roster, but there are spots he could work in the league and Cleveland could be one of them.
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 23
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 39
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 15
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 36
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 16
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 34