Report: Lakers strongly considered George Karl before offering Byron Scott

Jul 25, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT

Why did the Lakers take so long to offer Byron Scott their head-coaching job?

LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony were long off the market, halting a plan to let them choose the next coach in Los Angeles.

Los Angeles’ other top candidate, Lionel Hollins, took the Nets job.

By the end, Scott appeared to be the only plan left.

But maybe George Karl, who had definite interest, remained under consideration.

Ramona Shelburne of ESPN:

Karl deserves a head-coaching job in this league. He might be difficult, but he knows his Xs and Os, and he’s proven that over many years. At some point, I believe he’ll get another shot, but if he can’t beat out Scott, I don’t know.

For Lakers fans, I’ll leave you with this Heywood Broun quote:

The tragedy of life is not that man loses but that he almost wins.

1. romestar82 - Jul 25, 2014 at 3:14 PM

to young of a team for G.K

• RonKarate - Jul 25, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Young? Kobe? Nash? Boozer? Are you their agent?

• 4thquartermagic - Jul 25, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Well played sir.

• dablakdrphil - Jul 25, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Too young of a team? Did George Karl not win Coach Of The Year his last time coaching when he had a very young Denver Nugget team

2. asimonetti88 - Jul 25, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Should have hired Hollins when he was available. George Karl was next best coach. Scott was third best. Hopefully Byron Scott works out as the third best for the Lakers like Pete Carroll did as the third best for SC!

• 4thquartermagic - Jul 25, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Don;t worry. When Scott “resigns” after 3 games, George Karl will be a shoe in!

3. patfic5 - Jul 25, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I’d love Karl in OKC.

• fm31970 - Jul 25, 2014 at 9:45 PM

I was just going to say what a great fit he’d be there. Maybe next year? Sorry, Scott Brooks.

4. antistratfordian - Jul 25, 2014 at 3:39 PM

It would be out of character for young Buss to go with the best option.

• sportsfan18 - Jul 25, 2014 at 4:19 PM

you’re being too nice Anti…

it’s the Short Buss

or the Slow Buss

5. cueghost - Jul 25, 2014 at 3:54 PM

George Karl is one whale of a coach… I too would like to see him in OKC. I think he could win a Championship with that team in one year.

• themars211 - Jul 25, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I forgot, maybe you can help me out? When did George Karl win his last championship?

• asimonetti88 - Jul 25, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Larry Brown was an NBA coach for ages before he won his first championship

• zoomy123 - Jul 25, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Everybody can see that George Karl is a better coach than Scott Brooks. Brooks has never made a decision that anybody hailed as brilliant. Offensively OKC is a train wreck. It’s hard to imagine how a team with Durant + Westbrook can’t move the ball but it’s true.

• themars211 - Jul 25, 2014 at 6:58 PM

I can see they both have the same amount of championships won and that is a fact! Both have the same record in NBA finals.

6. unxpexted1 - Jul 25, 2014 at 5:28 PM

I like George Karl but I think Byron is a better coach and brings a style that emphasizes on defense. Far as good as Karl is, his teams are always subpar defensively.

• realfootballfan - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:13 AM

Yep. George Karl has had some pretty stacked team from those Sonic teams to the teams he had in Milwaukee the first few years to even some of those Denver teams. Also, he’s quite volatile. A bit overrated if you ask me. Someone mentioned him in the same breath with Larry Brown which made me LOL.

• patfic5 - Jul 26, 2014 at 7:27 AM

Why? He’s better than Brown.

7. tcclark - Jul 25, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Karl is a better coach, but Scott fits better with Kobe and that’s what is most important for the Lakers. Scott runs a system closer to what Phil Jackson runs having played for him.

I think Golden State should have hired Karl. They wanted their offense to improve and a guy who was more of an X’s and O’s guy rather than the motivator they had in Mark Jackson. George Karl would have been a perfect fit.

• tdl8 - Jul 25, 2014 at 8:01 PM

When did Byron play for Phil Jackson?! I think you are confused! Byron retired in 97, 2 years before PJ came to LA.

• tcclark - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Yeah I realized that after I posted. I think I got confused with “was a former teammate of Kobe,” and “Played for Phil Jackson.” Those two usually go together, but not in this case.

• oslo23 - Jul 25, 2014 at 9:53 PM

That would’ve been tough after Karl accused Iggy of being Denver’s mole.

• aldavisfortytime - Jul 25, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Yeah Iggy sucks. Entirely overpaid, sporadic offense, can’t make a free throw, won’t ever be the best player on a good team, and he sold his own team out in the playoffs. Don’t know why more people don’t like him.

8. soundsofsuccess7 - Jul 25, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Would’ve supported a George Karl hiring 100%. Not that I don’t support Byron Scott, but I would’ve been curious to see what George Karl could do with Lin, Bryant, and Swaggy P. Could’ve been interesting.

• patfic5 - Jul 25, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Gone crazy.

9. themars211 - Jul 25, 2014 at 7:00 PM

George Karl is a good coach but I fail to really see the separation with him and Byron Scott or Scott Brooks for that matter. Maybe its just me?

• patfic5 - Jul 25, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Only separation is that Brooks is third on that list when it comes to effective coaching.

• realfootballfan - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:17 AM

Not just you. I actually think Scott is much better, not just a little bit better. People here seem to overlook what great players he’s had over the years to the tune of mostly early round playoff losses. His team ironiclaly was the first 1 seed to lose to an 8, something that was virtually impossible to do when his Sonics lost to the Nuggets who were lucky when they’d score 85 on a night back in those days. Some guys just get this mythical status though for some reason.

10. football58 - Jul 26, 2014 at 6:31 AM

George Karl is mr. One and done in the playoffs, but hey sometimes that will get you coach of the year. I can’t remember a prominent free agent ever saying he wants to go play for George Karl. This is because Karl refuses to accept any accountability for his shortcomings in the playoffs and almost annually finds a player to scapegoat and throw them under the bus. it’s really not hard to see why he doesn’t have a job.

• realfootballfan - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I know. Do people recall how he ran Ray Allen out of Milwaukee. What coach has problems with Ray Allen? He’s a very good regular season coach, but that’s not saying much since the regular season is meaningless for anything but seeding, and that doesn’t even matter as evidenced by his numerous upsets in the playoffs, most recently losing as a 3 seed to Golden State a couple of years ago. It points to a lack of adjustment from him in the playoffs. The media is good at feeding the narrative though as evidenced by all of these “he’s a great coach” comments here. He’s a better Don Nelson or Mike D’Antoni.

11. imakcds - Jul 26, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Karl is not known for Defense, and that is the Lakers biggest need.
    I don’t know that Karl would want to coach a team with ‘no chance’ at this point in his career.
    Byron is a much better fit.

I wanted Hollins.
    GO LAKERS!!!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches