Jul 25, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Kevin Johnson worked wonders to help the city of Sacramento retain the Kings, when the team’s former owners seemed dead set on selling to a group that would relocate the franchise to Seattle.
Johnson was enlisted to try to achieve similar success in searching for a new head of the union for the players, after Billy Hunter was cut loose following questionable dealings and even more curious financial decisions.
But Johnson is out now, apparently, and the process is set to move forward without him.
In email, Kevin Johnson has informed agents he’s no longer part of the search process for a new NBPA executive director, Yahoo has learned.
Johnson had been tasked with heading search committee for a new NBPA executive director, but terse email reveals committee is out of process
Sources had told Yahoo Sports in past 48 hours that are four finalists in process for new the NBPA executive director.
Wrote Kevin Johnson in email to agents: “While we’d hoped to help bring this to completion, it’s clear that won’t be possible.”
NBPA exec. committee wants to lead process toward hiring, leaving Johnson’s group feeling cast aside, sources say. And so it goes in NBPA.
3 NBPA exec. director candidates will make 45 minute presentations to players at union meeting Monday in Las Vegas — then a vote to elect.
What’s important here isn’t necessarily who ends up getting the job. It’s that the dysfunction in the union continues.
The players need more involvement for when it’s time to renegotiate the collective bargaining agreement, which is one of the reasons that Chris Paul agreed to take the role of president which had previously been given to players who had far less on-court responsibilities.
The stars need to step up in order to make a true stand against the owners, but they can’t do it alone. They need competent leadership in place, and by the powers that be forcing Johnson out before the process is complete, you have to wonder if they’ll ultimately make the wisest of decisions.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 28
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18