Jul 25, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Jeff Teague is the starting point guard in Atlanta and the Hawks are counting on Dennis Schroder to grow into the No. 2 role, ideally starting next season (in Las Vegas they had him working on running a team properly and being a defensive pest). He’s raw but talented.
Restricted free-agent guard Shelvin Mack has reached agreement on a three-year, $7.3 million deal to return to the Atlanta Hawks, a league source told Yahoo Sports…. The deal includes a team option in the third year, a source said.
Mack was solid last season for the Hawks. He’s a bit streaky as a shooter (remember he got hot in Game 5 against the Pacers in the playoffs and dropped 20) but what he brought was consistency in running the team — he’s a deft passer plus he doesn’t turn the ball over — and a real sense of professionalism. He could be trusted.
Schroder isn’t there yet, this is a nice insurance policy at a fair price until that happens.
In other Atlanta Hawks news, they officially signed rookie Adreian Payne to his contract. He showed some potential at Summer League as a shooting big as he adapts to the NBA game.
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 6
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 29
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35