Jul 25, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Jeff Teague is the starting point guard in Atlanta and the Hawks are counting on Dennis Schroder to grow into the No. 2 role, ideally starting next season (in Las Vegas they had him working on running a team properly and being a defensive pest). He’s raw but talented.
Restricted free-agent guard Shelvin Mack has reached agreement on a three-year, $7.3 million deal to return to the Atlanta Hawks, a league source told Yahoo Sports…. The deal includes a team option in the third year, a source said.
Mack was solid last season for the Hawks. He’s a bit streaky as a shooter (remember he got hot in Game 5 against the Pacers in the playoffs and dropped 20) but what he brought was consistency in running the team — he’s a deft passer plus he doesn’t turn the ball over — and a real sense of professionalism. He could be trusted.
Schroder isn’t there yet, this is a nice insurance policy at a fair price until that happens.
In other Atlanta Hawks news, they officially signed rookie Adreian Payne to his contract. He showed some potential at Summer League as a shooting big as he adapts to the NBA game.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 20
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 20
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4