Jul 25, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Jeff Teague is the starting point guard in Atlanta and the Hawks are counting on Dennis Schroder to grow into the No. 2 role, ideally starting next season (in Las Vegas they had him working on running a team properly and being a defensive pest). He’s raw but talented.
Restricted free-agent guard Shelvin Mack has reached agreement on a three-year, $7.3 million deal to return to the Atlanta Hawks, a league source told Yahoo Sports…. The deal includes a team option in the third year, a source said.
Mack was solid last season for the Hawks. He’s a bit streaky as a shooter (remember he got hot in Game 5 against the Pacers in the playoffs and dropped 20) but what he brought was consistency in running the team — he’s a deft passer plus he doesn’t turn the ball over — and a real sense of professionalism. He could be trusted.
Schroder isn’t there yet, this is a nice insurance policy at a fair price until that happens.
In other Atlanta Hawks news, they officially signed rookie Adreian Payne to his contract. He showed some potential at Summer League as a shooting big as he adapts to the NBA game.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 12
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 20
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14