Jul 25, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Francisco Garcia didn’t contribute that much to the Rockets last season, in part due to injuries and in part due to the fact he doesn’t provide much except hitting threes (65 percent of his shots were from beyond the arc and he his 35 percent of those). Still he opted out of the second hear of his contract in Houston to see what free agency might hold for him.
It looks now like he will make a choice soon… and it could return to Houston.
There has been interest from Utah but the Rockets have had talks with Garcia, his agent Aaron Goodwin told the Houston Chronicle.
“We’ve talked about him,” Goodwin said of conversations with the Rockets. “Francisco is just looking for the opportunity to continue to play toward a championship. We’re looking through his options, seeing what would be the best opportunities for him. He definitely has interest in the Rockets.”
Garcia opted out of a veteran minimum contract and will get the exact same deal now, the only question is where. There’s a comfort level there for both sides and for Garcia he gets to play on a quality team that will win a lot of games in a hotly contested West.
The Rockets have the roster space with a number of non-guaranteed deals, however there is time and another team could step in and tempt Garcia with a situation he likes better. Probably not, though.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 8
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 42
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11