Jul 25, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
If I ran the Minnesota Timberwolves, I’d accept the Cavaliers’ trade offer – presumed to include Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett, a future first-round pick and maybe other pieces to make the cap numbers work – for Kevin Love.
Sure, I’d use some of these 30 days Wiggins can’t be traded to try to induce a higher offer. Taj Gibson, Nikola Mirotic and Doug McDermott is a nice start, and maybe the Bulls improve that package. The Warriors wouldn’t trump Cleveland just by including Klay Thompson included, though maybe they come around.
But, most of all, I’m focused on Wiggins. He’s an incredible return for a player who can leave as a free agent in a year.
And it seems the Timberwolves are beginning to understand that.
Sources told ESPN.com that the Wolves, at present, are higher on a Cleveland trade package centered around Wiggins than any other offer on the table for Love.
One source insisted this week, however, that the Wolves — especially owner Glen Taylor — actually now prefer a package headlined by Wiggins to a Thompson-led haul for Love because Wiggins is widely seen as possessing superstar potential while also just starting out on a rookie contract. Thompson is eligible for a lucrative contract extension from the Warriors or any team he’s traded to between now and Halloween.
Preferring Wiggins to Thompson is completely logical, though logic alone doesn’t explain Minnesota’s change of heart. After all, Wiggins over Thompson was logical when reports emerged the Timberwolves preferred Thompson.
I see two leading possibilities for the turnaround:
2. Glen Taylor and Flip Saunders are on different pages. Perhaps Saunders, who actually has to coach these guys and is evaluated on his won-loss record, wants players ready to compete now. Taylor can take a long-term view and bet on Wiggins’ potential. They could be providing countering leaks based on their separate agendas.
If No. 1 is the case, who knows? Minnesota can do anything, but again, I’ll refer to the logic of taking Wiggins.
But if it’s No. 2, not only does logic dictate the Timberwolves take Cleveland’s offer, the owner usually gets his way – which means the Cavaliers are the true leaders in this race.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Brooklyn is a half-game out of the eighth and final playoff spot in the East.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Crawford has been dealing with a calf bruise.
Mar 26, 2015, 6:26 PM EDT
The NBA is the only major sports league featured.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Mutombo had previously denied it.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The Wizards have become stagnant in recent weeks.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:59 PM EDT
Woodson is an assistant with the Clippers now.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Mar 26, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Timofey Mozgov in a backward jersey? Timofey Mozgov in a backward jersey
Mar 26, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
Houston own’s Llull’s draft rights
Mar 26, 2015, 1:06 PM EDT
Jazz center makes it look easy
Mar 26, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Thunder guard again confrontational in post-game interview
Mar 26, 2015, 11:37 AM EDT
Jazz guard just suddenly went down
Mar 26, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
Spurs big man apparently earned $100 by making 3-pointer against Thunder
Mar 26, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
Referees miss blatant out of bounds call, clock momentarily stops before restarting
Mar 26, 2015, 9:47 AM EDT
The best matchup of the weekend may be Jakob Poeltl vs. Jahlil Okafor.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:08 AM EDT
That might be fair, but what about all Love’s reasons for being frustrated with Cavaliers?
Mar 26, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Mavericks owner reverses course
Mar 26, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Raptors crumble in fourth quarter during loss to Chicago
Mar 26, 2015, 2:29 AM EDT
Lionel Messi was hanging out at the most entertaining NBA game of the night.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:15 AM EDT
Not a good look
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 1
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 76
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20