Jul 24, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
The Spurs have done a remarkable job resting Manu Ginobili.
Even while reaching back-to-back NBA Finals, Ginobili has played fewer minutes, including the playoffs, than Al-Farouq Aminu during the last two years. Gregg Popovich is certainly extending the career of Ginobili, who turns 37 Monday.
Ginobili also proudly represents Argentina in international play, adding opportunities for him to extend himself. Arguably fortunately for San Antonio, Ginobili appeared likely to miss this summer’s World Cup with an injury that would heal before the NBA regular season.
But Ginobili’s timeline might be changing.
Manu Ginobili reiterated that it is “optimistic” to recover from the stress fracture suffered in his right leg to play the World Cup in Spain and reported that a study will be done in two weeks will determine whether begins with the training or not. “It does not hurt.’m Optimistic, but I have doubts, I have fears. Perceive that it is (the injury) is definitely much better. When I finished the season touch felt pain when I touched that area, not now,” Ginobili said in statements made to LU2 Bahia Blanca
When asked about the reaction of the coaching staff and the leadership of San Antonio Spurs confirmed the news to Ginobili acknowledged that “not wanted” me to play the World Cup.
“I definitely did not want to go to the world because I’m injured. That told me the doctor, but it is clear to which side shoots. Upon talking to Pop ( Gregg Popovich , the coach) understood and appealed to my honesty. guarantee I will if pain was not going to play. That was what was agreed, “he said.
If Ginobili feels healthy enough to play, he should play.
The Spurs have made great use of the skills Ginobili has developed during international competition. It would be unfair to prohibit him from such games now.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32