Report: Manu Ginobili ‘optimistic’ about playing in World Cup despite Spurs’ wishes

Jul 24, 2014, 8:45 AM EST

Manu Ginobili Manu Ginobili

The Spurs have done a remarkable job resting Manu Ginobili.

Even while reaching back-to-back NBA Finals, Ginobili has played fewer minutes, including the playoffs, than Al-Farouq Aminu during the last two years. Gregg Popovich is certainly extending the career of Ginobili, who turns 37 Monday.

Ginobili also proudly represents Argentina in international play, adding opportunities for him to extend himself. Arguably fortunately for San Antonio, Ginobili appeared likely to miss this summer’s World Cup with an injury that would heal before the NBA regular season.

But Ginobili’s timeline might be changing.

A translated version of canchallena:

Manu Ginobili reiterated that it is “optimistic” to recover from the stress fracture suffered in his right leg to play the World Cup in Spain and reported that a study will be done in two weeks will determine whether begins with the training or not. “It does not hurt.’m Optimistic, but I have doubts, I have fears. Perceive that it is (the injury) is definitely much better. When I finished the season touch felt pain when I touched that area, not now,” Ginobili said in statements made ​​to LU2 Bahia Blanca

If Ginobili feels healthy enough to play, he should play.

The Spurs have made great use of the skills Ginobili has developed during international competition. It would be unfair to prohibit him from such games now.

1. m4a188 - Jul 24, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Don’t be surprised if he’s wearing civvies while cheering on his team in May and June.

2. circuscivics - Jul 24, 2014 at 9:34 AM

“When asked about the reaction of the coaching staff and the leadership of San Antonio Spurs confirmed the news to Ginobili acknowledged that “not wanted” me to play the World Cup.

“I definitely did not want to go to the world because I’m injured. That told me the doctor, but it is clear to which side shoots. Upon talking to Pop ( Gregg Popovich , the coach) understood and appealed to my honesty. guarantee I will if pain was not going to play. That was what was agreed, “he said.”
    ____________________________________________________________________________________

What is going on with this quote? It read’s like a cave man is speaking? I know that Ginobili’s first language is not English, but we have all heard him speak many times and he speaks English very well.

• calkinsrob - Jul 24, 2014 at 12:02 PM

LOL and its in quotes. THIS is the worst Ive ever seen it on this website haha. This has to be a joke lol

3. bringin1234 - Jul 24, 2014 at 10:23 AM

copy and pasting into Spanish translator doesn’t work well…

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORDS THAT ARE COMIN OUTTA MY MOUTH!!!!

4. azarkhan - Jul 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Way to be a jerk, Manu.

5. savvybynature - Jul 24, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Yeah seriously guys, Google translate?!!?
    You don’t know a SINGle person that speaks fluent Spanish and can give you a translation? You couldn’t just call a local college and get a Spanish professor on the phone?
    Show some pride in your work for Pete’s sake!

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches