Jul 24, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
Three members of the All-Big Ten first team entered the NBA draft.
And Devyn Marble went No. 56 to the Magic.
Stauskas and Harris were better than Marble in college, but the difference wasn’t that great.
Their draft stocks varied so much because Stauskas (Michigan) and Harris (Michigan State) each spent just two years in college, leaving them with higher perceived upsides. Marble, on the other hand, played four years at Iowa, creating the impression too much of his success was due to just being older than the opposition.
But, though Stauskas is 20 and Harris is 19, Marble is just 21 – young for a senior. He should have gone higher. Maybe not guaranteed-contract-in-the-first-round higher, but at least higher in the second round.
Marble will get some guaranteed money, though.
The Orlando Magic have signed rookie guard Devyn Marble, General Manager Rob Hennigan announced today.
The contract will be for three seasons, according to an industry source familiar with the terms of the contract.
Marble’s rookie season will be fully guaranteed.
His second and third seasons are non-guaranteed
Marble is half Orlando’s return in the Arron Afflalo trade. So, there’s a little pressure on him and Evan Fournier, the other piece the Nuggets sent, to prove the Magic didn’t get hosed as badly in the deal as everyone thinks.
But just because I believe Marble slipped too far in the draft doesn’t mean he’ll accomplish that. Most second rounders, even those picked in the high 30s, don’t make significant NBA contributions.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 8
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 1
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 11
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 30
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29