It’s official: Jameer Nelson signs with Mavericks, says: “I’m just preparing myself to make open shots.”
Jul 24, 2014, 5:49 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:57 pm: It’s official — Jameer Nelson is a member of the Dallas Mavericks for the upcoming season.
5:49 pm: Quality shots have been hard to come by in Orlando the past couple seasons. Ever since Dwight Howard left there hasn’t really been a Magic player that demanded a double team or forced you to adjust your defense.
Jameer Nelson thinks that impacted his three point shooting this past season. He also expects things to be different in Dallas.
Nelson is meeting with the Mavericks Thursday and, has been expected, they are going to reach a deal soon, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
In Dallas there are players that demand double teams — Dirk Nowitzki every night, Monta Ellis some nights — and guys who can benefit from the better looks like Chandler Parsons, Tyson Chandler and now Nelson. The point guard talked about that with Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning NewsA.
“My 3-point percentage hopefully will go up playing with better guys,” he said. “The looks will be there. Dirk will draw a lot of attention. Monta draws a lot of attention. Chandler Parsons, too. Everybody’s going to draw attention, so somebody’s going to be open. I’m just preparing myself to make open shots.”
Nelson is going to split time at the point with Raymond Felton and Devin Harris (plus you can be sure Ellis will serve as a defacto point guard at times). The guy who does not turn the ball over, defends a little and knocks down the open threes will get the lion’s share of the minutes.
That could be Nelson. He can’t do it for 30+ minutes a night anymore, but for 20-25 he could be a guy Rick Carlisle leans heavily on as the season moves along.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 23
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49