Isaiah Thomas: ‘I felt very disrespected’ by Kings

Jul 24, 2014, 9:22 AM EST

Isaiah Thomas, Michael Malone Isaiah Thomas, Michael Malone

I’m not keen on typecasting players by position, but let’s say you insist on having a passing point guard. Would you rather have:

• Player A: 32.2 assist percentage, 14.3 turnover percentage
  • Player B: 21.9 assist percentage, 14.3 turnover percentage

The Kings, reportedly set on getting a distributing point guard, signed Player B (Darren Collison) and discarded Player A (Isaiah Thomas).

Yeah, I don’t know either.

Thomas averaged 20.3 points and 6.3 assists per game last season, but that still wasn’t good enough for Sacramento, which let its starting point guard join the Suns after signing Collison.

I’m sure Thomas felt wanted in Phoenix, but that’s not the only reason he wound up with the Suns.

Bob Young AZCentral Sports:

Yet, the Kings seemed to look for someone to replace Thomas at every opportunity.

“They were,” he said matter-of-factly. “I felt very disrespected. Every year it was somebody new. I felt I did a good enough job to show them I was a starting point guard or a guy who could play a big role with their team. But they thought differently.

I believe Sacramento will regret treating Thomas this way, and he’ll obviously use this as motivation.

Not that he needs anymore.

At just 5-foot-9, Thomas was drafted with the final pick of the 2011 NBA draft. He had to claw just to make the NBA after being selected, let alone stick in the league.

He’s had many doubters along the way – including, apparently, the team that gave him his first NBA opportunity.

1. loungefly74 - Jul 24, 2014 at 9:28 AM

huh. that is perplexing. does Isiah have an attitude issue in the locker room? i can only think of that as to why the Kings discarded him…

• duhwighthoward - Jul 24, 2014 at 12:19 PM

… and maxed out Demarcus Cousins?

2. poundtherock - Jul 24, 2014 at 9:32 AM

“he’ll obviously used as wide as motivation.”

“He’s had many doubters along the – including, apparently, the team that gave him his first NBA opportunity.”

Is it that hard to hire an editor? My God, it is painful to read this stuff sometimes.

• timberwolvesbrisin - Jul 24, 2014 at 9:44 AM

yes and their pompous tone doesnt help either

• duhwighthoward - Jul 24, 2014 at 12:21 PM

If they had any sense of pride, they would have self-immolated after failing repetitively and horrendously at the one thing they are counted on to do.

• woakland - Jul 24, 2014 at 10:02 AM

or maybe just someone to proofread? An intern should be able to do that. The writers at PFT are much better – at least they check their work.

3. ProBasketballPundit - Jul 24, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Zach Lowe just wrote a nice article about the Kings’ plan… or lack thereof.

4. edavidberg - Jul 24, 2014 at 9:39 AM

The Kings are incompetent. Thomas always played well when given the chance and they kept putting lesser players on the court instead. He’s significantly better than Collison and it’s funny the Kings are too dense to regret losing him even after he outplays Collison next season and beyond.

5. breyton444 - Jul 24, 2014 at 9:46 AM

He is a defensive liability due to his height.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 24, 2014 at 10:26 PM

And at 6″0, Darren Collison is sooooo much bigger, right?

6. 88heatnation - Jul 24, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Well now you’re in a better position to win games with that effort, just don’t know (PHX) how can you sign 3 starting caliber PG’s. Guessing Dragic will play the three, he is 6’6.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 24, 2014 at 10:28 PM

6″3

7. imakcds - Jul 24, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Thomas has proven to be a PUNK, and doesn’t deserve any respect, despite his HOF career as a player.
    I can’t stand to hear his voice, and his commentary during the Summer League made me puke.

• themike31 - Jul 24, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I think it’s a little early to put this Isaiah Thomas in the HOF.

• dablakdrphil - Jul 24, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Or he’s thinking of the Detroit Pistons, terrible team President of the New York Knicks who handed out bad contracts like halloween candy Isiah Thomas Lol

• norcalkingsfan - Jul 24, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Isaiah Thomas is not the same person as Isiah Thomas.

• imakcds - Jul 24, 2014 at 3:33 PM

DUHHH!
      wrong isaiah!
      no coffee.
      but no excuse

• muhangis - Jul 25, 2014 at 3:11 AM

You’re an idiot HAHAHAHA! Wrong Thomas, idiot! LOL This fool made my night.

8. calicokiller49 - Jul 24, 2014 at 11:26 AM

I liked him, but felt disrespected as a kings fan when he’s gushing all over Chris Paul, and talking about how bad he wanted to be a laker

9. cbking05 - Jul 24, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Sacramento never felt comfortable with him as the Pizza Guy … I’m not sure who would make a better Pizza Guy but C’mon can’t we get someone over 6’0 to be that guy!

10. campcouch - Jul 24, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Disrespect? They didn’t have to draft you. You were literally one pick away from being a free agent. Now you’ve gotten a fat contract. If anything, a bit of gratitude should be on order.

11. bubbalynch - Jul 24, 2014 at 12:52 PM

As a Kings fan, I can say I. Thomas is a good player off the bench but as a starter? Nah, he is a way below average defender.

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches