Jul 24, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
But Parsons is mainly irked by Houston’s search for a third star when he felt he could be that player. In the end, though, the Rockets’ decision not to match the Mavericks’ offer sheet had nothing to do with Carmelo Anthony or Chris Bosh. Those bigger stars were already headed back to their current teams before Houston had to decide on Parsons.
This simply came down to the Rockets not believing Parsons warranted a near-max contract.
However, their pre-free agency statements to Parsons – according to him, at least – took a different tone.
Parsons on KESN-FM 103.3, as transcribed The Dallas Morning News:
Before this whole process started, they had told me ‘You’ve earned this. You deserve this. Go and sign the best deal for your career. Just know in the back of your mind that we plan on matching.’ Throughout the process, I definitely thought they were gonna match the contract.
Maybe Rockets general manager Daryl Morey just underestimated the size of the offer sheet he’d have to match. Or maybe he was just playing nice long before facing a tough decision.
Either way, this runs counter to the idea the Rockets declined Parsons’ team option contingent on him waiting to re-sign with them. Morey apparently understood the reality of this situation: Parsons – like any player – would be foolish to pass up a huge guaranteed offer based on the promise of a similar deal later. Take the money when you know it’s there.
But between then and Parsons signing with Dallas, something changed – and the Rockets’ offseason went down the tubes.
- 67RIEFNS: Warriors starters with Draymond Green 0
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 12
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 9
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70