Jul 24, 2014, 2:55 PM EST
But Parsons is mainly irked by Houston’s search for a third star when he felt he could be that player. In the end, though, the Rockets’ decision not to match the Mavericks’ offer sheet had nothing to do with Carmelo Anthony or Chris Bosh. Those bigger stars were already headed back to their current teams before Houston had to decide on Parsons.
This simply came down to the Rockets not believing Parsons warranted a near-max contract.
However, their pre-free agency statements to Parsons – according to him, at least – took a different tone.
Parsons on KESN-FM 103.3, as transcribed The Dallas Morning News:
Before this whole process started, they had told me ‘You’ve earned this. You deserve this. Go and sign the best deal for your career. Just know in the back of your mind that we plan on matching.’ Throughout the process, I definitely thought they were gonna match the contract.
Maybe Rockets general manager Daryl Morey just underestimated the size of the offer sheet he’d have to match. Or maybe he was just playing nice long before facing a tough decision.
Either way, this runs counter to the idea the Rockets declined Parsons’ team option contingent on him waiting to re-sign with them. Morey apparently understood the reality of this situation: Parsons – like any player – would be foolish to pass up a huge guaranteed offer based on the promise of a similar deal later. Take the money when you know it’s there.
But between then and Parsons signing with Dallas, something changed – and the Rockets’ offseason went down the tubes.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 15
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 10
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8