Jul 24, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
But Parsons is mainly irked by Houston’s search for a third star when he felt he could be that player. In the end, though, the Rockets’ decision not to match the Mavericks’ offer sheet had nothing to do with Carmelo Anthony or Chris Bosh. Those bigger stars were already headed back to their current teams before Houston had to decide on Parsons.
This simply came down to the Rockets not believing Parsons warranted a near-max contract.
However, their pre-free agency statements to Parsons – according to him, at least – took a different tone.
Parsons on KESN-FM 103.3, as transcribed The Dallas Morning News:
Before this whole process started, they had told me ‘You’ve earned this. You deserve this. Go and sign the best deal for your career. Just know in the back of your mind that we plan on matching.’ Throughout the process, I definitely thought they were gonna match the contract.
Maybe Rockets general manager Daryl Morey just underestimated the size of the offer sheet he’d have to match. Or maybe he was just playing nice long before facing a tough decision.
Either way, this runs counter to the idea the Rockets declined Parsons’ team option contingent on him waiting to re-sign with them. Morey apparently understood the reality of this situation: Parsons – like any player – would be foolish to pass up a huge guaranteed offer based on the promise of a similar deal later. Take the money when you know it’s there.
But between then and Parsons signing with Dallas, something changed – and the Rockets’ offseason went down the tubes.
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 0
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 9
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 13
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 25
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 6
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 88