Anthony Bennett breathing much easier after having tonsils out

Jul 24, 2014, 8:44 AM EST

Cleveland Cavaliers v San Antonio Spurs Getty Images

We’ve told you that Anthony Bennett looked a lot better at the Las Vegas Summer League than expected — he was in shape and with that played with a real constant energy on the boards and on defense.

Another r for the surprise performance? He was breathing easier.

Literally. He had his tonsils out and is breathing easier, he told Jessica Camerato of Basketball Insiders.

“Since [having] my tonsils out, my adenoids, I have a lot more room to breathe,” Bennett said during the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas. “It was hard, definitely, with my tonsils in. I feel like taking them out was a huge step….

“Since [having] my tonsils out, my adenoids, I have a lot more room to breathe,” Bennett said during the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas. “It was hard, definitely, with my tonsils in. I feel like taking them out was a huge step.”

The good news, he did not eat all the ice cream he wanted during his recovery from a tonsillectomy.

This ties back into his conditioning — he was able to sustain a level of activity and energy that he could not during the NBA season. Bennett just needs what happened in Vegas not to stay in Vegas.

1. mpops86 - Jul 24, 2014 at 8:55 AM

This post is a goddamn train wreck.n PBT has literally the WORST editorial record of any blog I’ve ever read.

Your job is to WRITE: clearly, creatively, constructively. Do. Your. Job. And even when you’re just copying someone else’s lines, do it right!

• wrlegrand - Jul 24, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Yeah, this is really, really poorly written.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 24, 2014 at 10:50 AM

and yet you still read it

• campcouch - Jul 24, 2014 at 11:39 AM

It’s a blog. Corrections are made later. Don’t lose any sleep over it because you can still understand what he’s trying to get across.

2. ProBasketballPundit - Jul 24, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Tonsils & adenoids, eh? I imagine it’s the first time T&A has ever saved an NBA career.

3. jamesinva - Jul 24, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I think most of the readers has accepted how poorly these articles are written. I used to complain everytime..now, if there isn’t an error, typo or some other issue, THATS more of a concern.

4. esracerx46 - Jul 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Having ice cream after a tonsillectomy is a common misconception. They really don’t want you having ice cream as it leaves a film in your mouth. They’ll give you water based popsicles, but no ice cream. It’s a rough 2 weeks, I lost 18 pounds and couldn’t talk for a week. But I no longer have snoring or sleep issues. FWIW I’m 175 pounds, so I’m not obese.

• mackcarrington - Jul 24, 2014 at 9:29 PM

I never heard that they don’t want you to eat ice cream. The main thing is that you don’t eat anything that can scratch your throat. A “film” in your mouth wouldn’t scratch your throat.

5. garlandchapko - Jul 24, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I think Bennet is going to end up being a good player, his shoulders look like Dwight Howards.

6. longtallsam - Jul 24, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Take up for the writer all you want, but there is no excuse for an article to be this poor written. I am no English comp major, but I wouldn’t send an email to my brother with that my grammatical errors and typos.

7. mungman69 - Jul 24, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Bennett might end up being the second best player on his team.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches