Jul 23, 2014, 12:55 PM EST
One of the more interesting aspects of the Cavaliers inching closer to trading for Kevin Love will be to see what their roster ultimately looks like when all is said and done.
Cleveland has some promising pieces already in place, and the most interesting of them all might be Dion Waiters — still on his rookie scale contract for two more seasons, and a player who some around the league have said will one day be every bit as good as Kyrie Irving, who just inked a max contract extension and is already a two-time All-Star.
Add in the reported problems between the two that seemed to be somewhat ongoing last season, and it’s worth wondering if Waiters might be available in trade, especially if one of the rumored third teams in the deal ends up expressing an above average level of interest.
On top of all that, there are league-wide whispers of a third team perhaps getting involved in a potential Cavs-Wolves deal, whispers of the 76ers possessing a strong interest in Cavs guard Dion Waiters, whispers of another major transaction on the way. Yeah. Unreal.
Waiters being involved in trade rumors is nothing new, and in fact, it went on at multiple points throughout last season. And it’s worth noting that just because a team has an interest in a player, that doesn’t mean a player’s current team is similarly interested in dealing him.
Waiters is still raw from a talent perspective, and has an incredible confidence level that has caused him to clash with teammates at times. But given his low-priced contract and undeniable upside, he’ll continue to be mentioned in these types of discussions until he can prove that his overall skill set is a fit with that of Irving’s — a player with whom the team already has so much of its future invested.
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 2
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 13
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41