Jul 23, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
One of the more interesting aspects of the Cavaliers inching closer to trading for Kevin Love will be to see what their roster ultimately looks like when all is said and done.
Cleveland has some promising pieces already in place, and the most interesting of them all might be Dion Waiters — still on his rookie scale contract for two more seasons, and a player who some around the league have said will one day be every bit as good as Kyrie Irving, who just inked a max contract extension and is already a two-time All-Star.
Add in the reported problems between the two that seemed to be somewhat ongoing last season, and it’s worth wondering if Waiters might be available in trade, especially if one of the rumored third teams in the deal ends up expressing an above average level of interest.
On top of all that, there are league-wide whispers of a third team perhaps getting involved in a potential Cavs-Wolves deal, whispers of the 76ers possessing a strong interest in Cavs guard Dion Waiters, whispers of another major transaction on the way. Yeah. Unreal.
Waiters being involved in trade rumors is nothing new, and in fact, it went on at multiple points throughout last season. And it’s worth noting that just because a team has an interest in a player, that doesn’t mean a player’s current team is similarly interested in dealing him.
Waiters is still raw from a talent perspective, and has an incredible confidence level that has caused him to clash with teammates at times. But given his low-priced contract and undeniable upside, he’ll continue to be mentioned in these types of discussions until he can prove that his overall skill set is a fit with that of Irving’s — a player with whom the team already has so much of its future invested.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32