Jul 23, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
As are a number of other NBA stars
trying to boost their brand and shoe sales spreading the love of basketball around the globe, Ray Allen has been in China the past week on a “vacation.” A vacation where he goes on television shows and does news interviews, so just like all your vacations. Maybe junket is a better word for what Ray Allen has been doing.
Out of his trip comes this note, via Brian Windhorst of ESPN.
LeBron James has reached out to Ray Allen trying to recruit him to Cleveland, as he has already done with Mike Miller. Miller is calling Allen as well. Allen has been more hesitant and what he is thinking depends on which sources you’re talking to — maybe he wants to go once more unto the breech with LeBron if he thinks he can win a title, or maybe Allen doesn’t want to go to Cleveland to play on a young team that likely still can’t beat the top teams in the West. (With that, how much does a potential Kevin Love trade factor into Allen’s decision?)
Allen is still in amazing condition, is still the consummate professional and can still knock down the corner three. However his fading athleticism has made doing pretty much anything other than shooting difficult. Such as defending.
Expect Allen to do one of three things: Agree to terms in Cleveland, find a deal with a contender in a warm weather city, or retire.
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 0
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 17
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 6
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7