Jul 23, 2014, 12:00 AM EST
Jeff Bzdelik resigned at Wake Forest – ending a college-coaching odyssey that also included stops with Colorado and Air Force – David Ramsey of The Gazette wrote of Bzdelik:
And he complained about his players. I remember several conversations with Buzzy when he wondered why one of his Falcons failed to find the nerve to take a big shot or properly box out for a crucial rebound or pass out of a double team.
Life in the NBA spoiled him. He expected players to understand the game. I almost told him, more than once, he had been hired as a basketball professor. He needed to hear the words. He struggled to see it was his job to teach basketball to these young cadets.
Consider that issue behind Bzdelik, who went 73-119 as Nuggets head coach from 2002 to 2004 when Carmelo Anthony was breaking into the league.
Marc J. Spears of Yahoo Sports:
Bzdelik has spent a lifetime in basketball, coming up through the ranks as a college assistant, small-college head coach, NBA assistant and NBA scout.
Being an NBA head coach was probably a bit over his head. Being a college head coach didn’t seem to suit him.
This is probably the role – and he’s tried nearly all them – that fits him best.
And in Memphis, where not long ago owner Robert Pera and head coach Dave Joerger were at odds over silliness, maybe Bzdelik will serve as the Grizzlies’ head coach by the end of the season.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 27
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 2
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 29
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 4
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 36
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 10