Jul 23, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Considering a follow-up report said Boston’s offer wasn’t good enough, the Timberwolves were probably just trying to drum up interest.
Since, interest in Love has really heated up. The Cavaliers, willing to offer Andrew Wiggins, are the main contender – and they’re growing stronger. The Warriors, as long as they have Klay Thompson, remain in the mix. And the Bulls aren’t going away either.
So the Celtics – whose offer is based primarily on draft picks that may or may not interest the win-now Timberwolves – see the writing on the wall.
There’s no waiving of the white flag just yet, but the Boston Celtics appear to be ready to move on from their pursuit of Minnesota star Kevin Love, league sources tell CSNNE.com.
“The more teams step up and show interest in Love, the further Boston falls in the pack,” a source said on Wednesday. “Danny’s a smart guy. He knows when to keep pushing for something and when to move on.”
Rondo becomes a free agent next summer, and the Celtics probably aren’t much closer to winning than they were last season. This is the time to get value for Rondo. Another year of rebuilding won’t endear Boston to Rondo and just increases the chances of him walking.
First-round picks Marcus Smart and James Young and the unguaranteed contracts of Keith Bogans, Chris Johnson, Chris Babb and Phill Pressey give the Celtics flexibility to go in any direction. With Love no longer central to their plans – though they could still get involved if the Love trade adds a third team – it’ll be interesting to see which path they choose.
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 4
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 13
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 16
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 11
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 23
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43