Jul 23, 2014, 7:49 PM EST
Considering a follow-up report said Boston’s offer wasn’t good enough, the Timberwolves were probably just trying to drum up interest.
Since, interest in Love has really heated up. The Cavaliers, willing to offer Andrew Wiggins, are the main contender – and they’re growing stronger. The Warriors, as long as they have Klay Thompson, remain in the mix. And the Bulls aren’t going away either.
So the Celtics – whose offer is based primarily on draft picks that may or may not interest the win-now Timberwolves – see the writing on the wall.
There’s no waiving of the white flag just yet, but the Boston Celtics appear to be ready to move on from their pursuit of Minnesota star Kevin Love, league sources tell CSNNE.com.
“The more teams step up and show interest in Love, the further Boston falls in the pack,” a source said on Wednesday. “Danny’s a smart guy. He knows when to keep pushing for something and when to move on.”
Rondo becomes a free agent next summer, and the Celtics probably aren’t much closer to winning than they were last season. This is the time to get value for Rondo. Another year of rebuilding won’t endear Boston to Rondo and just increases the chances of him walking.
First-round picks Marcus Smart and James Young and the unguaranteed contracts of Keith Bogans, Chris Johnson, Chris Babb and Phill Pressey give the Celtics flexibility to go in any direction. With Love no longer central to their plans – though they could still get involved if the Love trade adds a third team – it’ll be interesting to see which path they choose.
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 0
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 6
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 33
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46