Jul 23, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Raymond Felton will not be going to jail.
But I would expect the NBA will come down with some kind of suspension (or at least fine) for him.
Felton was arrested last February in New York on three separate weapons charges after he allegedly pointed a gun at his wife (they were going through a divorce at the time, although that certainly is no excuse for the behavior). New York has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation, but as had been expected Felton avoided jail time by pleading guilty, reports the Associated Press.
Felton pleaded guilty to attempted criminal possession of a weapon and criminal possession of a firearm. He admitted he knowingly had a large-capacity ammunition magazine and a pistol without a license….
He was immediately sentenced to 500 hours of community service and ordered to pay a $5,000 fine. Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Jonathan Rebold said Felton will be allowed to do the service outside New York.
Felton was traded from the Knicks to the Dallas Mavericks this summer along with Tyson Chandler.
As previously noted, it’s likely the NBA comes down with a little additional punishment for Felton.
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 0
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 1
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 20
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 10
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 23