Jul 23, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Raymond Felton will not be going to jail.
But I would expect the NBA will come down with some kind of suspension (or at least fine) for him.
Felton was arrested last February in New York on three separate weapons charges after he allegedly pointed a gun at his wife (they were going through a divorce at the time, although that certainly is no excuse for the behavior). New York has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation, but as had been expected Felton avoided jail time by pleading guilty, reports the Associated Press.
Felton pleaded guilty to attempted criminal possession of a weapon and criminal possession of a firearm. He admitted he knowingly had a large-capacity ammunition magazine and a pistol without a license….
He was immediately sentenced to 500 hours of community service and ordered to pay a $5,000 fine. Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Jonathan Rebold said Felton will be allowed to do the service outside New York.
Felton was traded from the Knicks to the Dallas Mavericks this summer along with Tyson Chandler.
As previously noted, it’s likely the NBA comes down with a little additional punishment for Felton.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 11
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9