Jul 23, 2014, 9:55 PM EST
It didn’t take the Mavericks long to sign their backup choice – Al-Farouq Aminu, the former Pelican who might actually be better than Lewis.
Chris Haynes of CSN Northwest:
Tim MacMahon of ESPN:
As long as they’re still signing Jameer Nelson for the full room exception, the Mavericks could offer Aminu just a minimum salary – $981,084 this year and $1,100,602 next.
That’s excellent value for the 23-year-old.
Aminu is an exceptional rebounder for a small forward and solid defender, though his big-man-like game also extends to offense. He’s a poor perimeter shooter and his ball-handling is suspect, but I trust Rick Carlisle to use him well. Best of all, Aminu doesn’t try to do too much.
I thought Aminu could have gotten more on the open market, but if not, the Mavericks are a good fit for him – and he should help them, too. Don’t be surprised to see him opt out next summer and get a bigger contract after both sides help each other this season.
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 6
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 7
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 5
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 15
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29