Jul 23, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
It didn’t take the Mavericks long to sign their backup choice – Al-Farouq Aminu, the former Pelican who might actually be better than Lewis.
Chris Haynes of CSN Northwest:
Tim MacMahon of ESPN:
As long as they’re still signing Jameer Nelson for the full room exception, the Mavericks could offer Aminu just a minimum salary – $981,084 this year and $1,100,602 next.
That’s excellent value for the 23-year-old.
Aminu is an exceptional rebounder for a small forward and solid defender, though his big-man-like game also extends to offense. He’s a poor perimeter shooter and his ball-handling is suspect, but I trust Rick Carlisle to use him well. Best of all, Aminu doesn’t try to do too much.
I thought Aminu could have gotten more on the open market, but if not, the Mavericks are a good fit for him – and he should help them, too. Don’t be surprised to see him opt out next summer and get a bigger contract after both sides help each other this season.
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 0
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 1
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 4
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 12
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 20
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43