Jul 23, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
It didn’t take the Mavericks long to sign their backup choice – Al-Farouq Aminu, the former Pelican who might actually be better than Lewis.
Chris Haynes of CSN Northwest:
Tim MacMahon of ESPN:
As long as they’re still signing Jameer Nelson for the full room exception, the Mavericks could offer Aminu just a minimum salary – $981,084 this year and $1,100,602 next.
That’s excellent value for the 23-year-old.
Aminu is an exceptional rebounder for a small forward and solid defender, though his big-man-like game also extends to offense. He’s a poor perimeter shooter and his ball-handling is suspect, but I trust Rick Carlisle to use him well. Best of all, Aminu doesn’t try to do too much.
I thought Aminu could have gotten more on the open market, but if not, the Mavericks are a good fit for him – and he should help them, too. Don’t be surprised to see him opt out next summer and get a bigger contract after both sides help each other this season.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 61
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 71
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8