Jul 23, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
It didn’t take the Mavericks long to sign their backup choice – Al-Farouq Aminu, the former Pelican who might actually be better than Lewis.
Chris Haynes of CSN Northwest:
Tim MacMahon of ESPN:
As long as they’re still signing Jameer Nelson for the full room exception, the Mavericks could offer Aminu just a minimum salary – $981,084 this year and $1,100,602 next.
That’s excellent value for the 23-year-old.
Aminu is an exceptional rebounder for a small forward and solid defender, though his big-man-like game also extends to offense. He’s a poor perimeter shooter and his ball-handling is suspect, but I trust Rick Carlisle to use him well. Best of all, Aminu doesn’t try to do too much.
I thought Aminu could have gotten more on the open market, but if not, the Mavericks are a good fit for him – and he should help them, too. Don’t be surprised to see him opt out next summer and get a bigger contract after both sides help each other this season.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8