Jul 23, 2014, 9:55 PM EST
It didn’t take the Mavericks long to sign their backup choice – Al-Farouq Aminu, the former Pelican who might actually be better than Lewis.
Chris Haynes of CSN Northwest:
Tim MacMahon of ESPN:
As long as they’re still signing Jameer Nelson for the full room exception, the Mavericks could offer Aminu just a minimum salary – $981,084 this year and $1,100,602 next.
That’s excellent value for the 23-year-old.
Aminu is an exceptional rebounder for a small forward and solid defender, though his big-man-like game also extends to offense. He’s a poor perimeter shooter and his ball-handling is suspect, but I trust Rick Carlisle to use him well. Best of all, Aminu doesn’t try to do too much.
I thought Aminu could have gotten more on the open market, but if not, the Mavericks are a good fit for him – and he should help them, too. Don’t be surprised to see him opt out next summer and get a bigger contract after both sides help each other this season.
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 1
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 7
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 16
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 24