Jul 23, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
Roy Hibbert with a skyhook?
Pacers president and former Celtic Larry Bird apparently dined with his old Lakers rival, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, in the name of helping Indiana’s center.
Pacer fans get ready for next season. I’m helping to get Roy ready to become a serious threat to his competitors.
If Abdul-Jabbar helps diversifies Hibbert’s offense, that would be wonderful for the wayward Pacers big man. However, I believe most of these arrangements are overrated. If Abdul-Jabbar could unilaterally translate his skills onto Hibbert, the best players would make the best coaches, and the pupil wouldn’t matter.
It obviously doesn’t work that way.
The Pacers should hope Abdul-Jabbar instills some confidence in Hibbert. After Hibbert’s disastrous playoffs, that would be more than enough to make this partnership worthwhile.
Don’t overlook Abdul-Jabbar’s value due to his sharp mental approach. Hibbert needs that more than a skyhook – though a skyhook would be nice, too.
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 4
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 33
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 32
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 58
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25