Jul 22, 2014, 1:42 PM EST
It’s common for the NBA’s biggest stars to spend part of the offseason on promotional tours overseas, which are usually tied to contracts as shoe company endorsers.
But there are apparently rules in place as to exactly what types of basketball activities players can undertake while on these trips, and some that were scheduled to take place in Manila didn’t meet the league’s guidelines.
The National Basketball Association warned a touring group of its stars that they could face financial fines for participating in clinics in Manila, Philippines, that include short scrimmages and games of “H-O-R-S-E,” league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Several NBA stars, including Blake Griffin, James Harden, Kawhi Leonard and Damian Liillard, were scheduled to participate in promotional appearances in Manila this week, and the NBA has told its Players Association that the event organizers failed to gain league approval, sources said. …
The NBA warned against violations that included “some kind of exhibition of basketball skills,” including shooting games and dunk contests, an NBPA memo obtained by Yahoo Sports said.
In the memo, the Players Association informed player agents and players that the NBA “has taken the position that any such exhibition or competition is unallowable and is not approved for player participation under the [Collective Bargaining Agreement], regardless of whether it is incorporated into a ‘clinic’ or other ‘benign-sounding activity.’
It appears as though some of these players were set to take on the Philippines national team in some sort of exhibition, but the league, clearly protecting its investment, has decided to pull the plug.
If you’re wondering why so many NBA stars would agree to do something the league might frown upon, as always, money is the answer. Wojnarowski reports that some players were set to receive $150,000 to participate in the two-day event.
Some may see this as the NBA being overly-cautious, but I’m sure Shannon Brown wishes there were some stricter policies in place last summer before he experienced this minor bit of humiliation that could have resulted in a fairly serious injury.
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 28
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8