Jul 22, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT
The deal reportedly on the table from Cleveland for Kevin Love is No. 1 picks Andrew Wiggins, last year’s No. 1 pick Anthony Bennett (who looked good at Summer League) plus one or two first round picks.
If that was enough the deal would be done. Minnesota is trying to leverage Cleveland with Chicago and maybe Golden State (although the Warriors are not playing along) to get as much as they can.
Cleveland is looking around the league to get more parts to put in a deal, specifically non-guaranteed contracts, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
The Cleveland Cavaliers are pursuing trade components to include as part of a package with Minnesota to acquire All-Star forward Kevin Love, league sources told Yahoo Sports….
The Cavaliers are working to obtain non-guaranteed contracts that could be a part of a package for Love, allowing the Cavaliers to deliver players that could be released immediately upon completion of a deal, sources said. This would give Minnesota salary-cap relief as part of a trade.
Those other pieces are likely to add Kevin Martin to the deal. Minnesota has wanted to dump Martin and his salary (three years, $21.3 million left on his deal) in any Love deal, and frankly Martin could provide some shooting the Cavs could use. To balance that out the Cavs need some non-guaranteed contracts.
Cleveland is apparently confident that they are close and can land a deal. That is as much about the lack of other great options out there for Minnesota — Chicago wants in with a deal based around Taj Gibson, and Denver is still out there as the best of the bad options for Minnesota (and that deal will be there, no reason for Minnesota to rush and take any of them).
The other part of all this: Will Kevin Love opt in for Cleveland? It’s what Chris Paul did for the Clippers, it is not something Dwight Howard did for the Lakers. Yes, Love reportedly would want to stay with LeBron in Cleveland, but situations and attitudes can change and the Cavs would be wise to get that one extra year guaranteed (plus Love could become a free agent in 2016 when the max salary will skyrocket with the new TV deal).
Still, it feels like a deal with get done with the Cavaliers. Eventually.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10