Jul 22, 2014, 10:20 PM EST
Donald Sterling’s legal battle over whether his wife had the rights to sell the Clippers continues.
But even this case alone won’t end Sterling’s litigation.
Donald Sterling opened a third legal front in his battle with his wife and the NBA over control of the Clippers, charging his wife, the NBA and Commissioner Adam Silver with defrauding him when they moved to sell the team to former Microsoft chief Steve Ballmer.
In a lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court Tuesday afternoon, Sterling asked for an injunction to freeze the $2-billion sale to Ballmer and for unspecified damages.
The action claims that Donald Sterling’s dismantling of the Sterling Family Trust on June 9 precluded his wife, Shelly Sterling, from taking any action to sell the team. Her moves to have him declared mentally incapacitated and to sell to Ballmer before that relied on fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract and inflicted emotional distress on the longtime Clippers owner, his lawsuit contends.
Arash Markazi of ESPN:
Sterling can file lawsuits until he runs out of money to pay his attorneys, which won’t happen anytime soon. And if it ever does, he can still file lawsuits himself.
If he’s just trying to be a thorn in the NBA’s side, he’s succeeding. If he really wants to keep the Clippers or actually win damages, he has virtually no chance.
But it’s unclear what Sterling is doing at this point – except filing lawsuits. That’s his fallback option whenever trouble emerges.
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 5
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 22
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 19
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 11
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1