Jul 22, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Donald Sterling’s legal battle over whether his wife had the rights to sell the Clippers continues.
But even this case alone won’t end Sterling’s litigation.
Donald Sterling opened a third legal front in his battle with his wife and the NBA over control of the Clippers, charging his wife, the NBA and Commissioner Adam Silver with defrauding him when they moved to sell the team to former Microsoft chief Steve Ballmer.
In a lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court Tuesday afternoon, Sterling asked for an injunction to freeze the $2-billion sale to Ballmer and for unspecified damages.
The action claims that Donald Sterling’s dismantling of the Sterling Family Trust on June 9 precluded his wife, Shelly Sterling, from taking any action to sell the team. Her moves to have him declared mentally incapacitated and to sell to Ballmer before that relied on fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract and inflicted emotional distress on the longtime Clippers owner, his lawsuit contends.
Arash Markazi of ESPN:
Sterling can file lawsuits until he runs out of money to pay his attorneys, which won’t happen anytime soon. And if it ever does, he can still file lawsuits himself.
If he’s just trying to be a thorn in the NBA’s side, he’s succeeding. If he really wants to keep the Clippers or actually win damages, he has virtually no chance.
But it’s unclear what Sterling is doing at this point – except filing lawsuits. That’s his fallback option whenever trouble emerges.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8