Jul 22, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Donald Sterling’s legal battle over whether his wife had the rights to sell the Clippers continues.
But even this case alone won’t end Sterling’s litigation.
Donald Sterling opened a third legal front in his battle with his wife and the NBA over control of the Clippers, charging his wife, the NBA and Commissioner Adam Silver with defrauding him when they moved to sell the team to former Microsoft chief Steve Ballmer.
In a lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court Tuesday afternoon, Sterling asked for an injunction to freeze the $2-billion sale to Ballmer and for unspecified damages.
The action claims that Donald Sterling’s dismantling of the Sterling Family Trust on June 9 precluded his wife, Shelly Sterling, from taking any action to sell the team. Her moves to have him declared mentally incapacitated and to sell to Ballmer before that relied on fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract and inflicted emotional distress on the longtime Clippers owner, his lawsuit contends.
Arash Markazi of ESPN:
Sterling can file lawsuits until he runs out of money to pay his attorneys, which won’t happen anytime soon. And if it ever does, he can still file lawsuits himself.
If he’s just trying to be a thorn in the NBA’s side, he’s succeeding. If he really wants to keep the Clippers or actually win damages, he has virtually no chance.
But it’s unclear what Sterling is doing at this point – except filing lawsuits. That’s his fallback option whenever trouble emerges.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 30
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 45
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4