Jul 22, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Lucas, Thomas and Murphy combine for $3,364,645 in unguaranteed salary. That could be useful in matching salaries with a team that, in addition to dealing Love’s max contract, wants to unload the overpaid Kevin Martin and J.J. Barea.
The Cavaliers can acquire Thomas and Murphy through minimum-salary exceptions, and by dealing Felix – who was on the books for a guaranteed minimum salary – they have enough cap room to absorb Lucas first.
This trade worked only because Cleveland waited to sign No. 1 pick Andrew Wiggins. Now the Cavaliers can sign Wiggins to the standard 120 percent of the rookie scale and start the 30-day clock until he can be traded. His full salary – rather than the $0 he’d count for unsigned – will also likely be essential to any Love trade
Murphy’s contract becomes $100,000 guaranteed Aug. 2 and $200,000 guaranteed Nov. 2, according to ShamSports.com. Wiggins is untradable until after Murphy’s contract becomes partially guaranteed, so the Timberwolves would just eat $100,000 if they dealt for Murphy and waived him. That’s not so bad, but eating an additional $100,000 in November when a deal might be workable 30 days from now seems pointless.
Today’s trade sets up two clocks for a Love-to-Cleveland deal – 30 days after Wiggins signs (which could happen today now that the Cavaliers have used their cap room) and before Nov. 2.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 1
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 16
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14