Jul 22, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Lucas, Thomas and Murphy combine for $3,364,645 in unguaranteed salary. That could be useful in matching salaries with a team that, in addition to dealing Love’s max contract, wants to unload the overpaid Kevin Martin and J.J. Barea.
The Cavaliers can acquire Thomas and Murphy through minimum-salary exceptions, and by dealing Felix – who was on the books for a guaranteed minimum salary – they have enough cap room to absorb Lucas first.
This trade worked only because Cleveland waited to sign No. 1 pick Andrew Wiggins. Now the Cavaliers can sign Wiggins to the standard 120 percent of the rookie scale and start the 30-day clock until he can be traded. His full salary – rather than the $0 he’d count for unsigned – will also likely be essential to any Love trade
Murphy’s contract becomes $100,000 guaranteed Aug. 2 and $200,000 guaranteed Nov. 2, according to ShamSports.com. Wiggins is untradable until after Murphy’s contract becomes partially guaranteed, so the Timberwolves would just eat $100,000 if they dealt for Murphy and waived him. That’s not so bad, but eating an additional $100,000 in November when a deal might be workable 30 days from now seems pointless.
Today’s trade sets up two clocks for a Love-to-Cleveland deal – 30 days after Wiggins signs (which could happen today now that the Cavaliers have used their cap room) and before Nov. 2.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 27
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18