Jul 21, 2014, 6:54 PM EST
Isaiah Thomas needed to feel wanted.
That’s why this week he returned to the area he was born and played his college ball, where he is still a beloved star — Washington — and while there swung by the Seattle Pro-Am and dropped 47. Because he can.
He never felt wanted in Sacramento — he was the 60th and final pick in the draft, he was too small (5’9″) and yet he has been the best point guard they have had for several years. They kept bringing in new guys, he kept beating them out, he kept hearing how management wasn’t high on him. True or not, that’s how it was perceived, especially when they signed Darren Collison and let Thomas go this summer to Phoenix at a reasonable price.
Thomas said at his introductory press conference in Phoenix Monday what sold him on Phoenix was they made him feel wanted. From Thomas’ press conference:
“I wanted to feel wanted. They brought me in and liked me for being me. They want me and I want to be here.”
That feeling has to be a good one for Thomas after how he felt he was treated the last few years.
Jeff Hornacek has talked about a dangerous three guard rotation of Thomas, Eric Bledsoe and Goran Dragic. To be fair, Thomas may be a bit of insurance in case the Suns don’t reach a deal with Bledsoe or can’t afford to keep Dragic when he opts-out next summer. Still, for a year this could work.
But for one year at least I want the Suns to keep that trio together — Phoenix could end up being not only good but one of the most entertaining teams in the NBA next season.
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 12
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 28
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 20
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16