Isaiah Thomas says he felt wanted in Phoenix, that’s why he signed there

Jul 21, 2014, 6:54 PM EDT

Sacramento Kings v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Isaiah Thomas needed to feel wanted.

That’s why this week he returned to the area he was born and played his college ball, where he is still a beloved star — Washington — and while there swung by the Seattle Pro-Am and dropped 47. Because he can.

He never felt wanted in Sacramento — he was the 60th and final pick in the draft, he was too small (5’9″) and yet he has been the best point guard they have had for several years. They kept bringing in new guys, he kept beating them out, he kept hearing how management wasn’t high on him. True or not, that’s how it was perceived, especially when they signed Darren Collison and let Thomas go this summer to Phoenix at a reasonable price.

Thomas said at his introductory press conference in Phoenix Monday what sold him on Phoenix was they made him feel wanted. From Thomas’ press conference:

“I wanted to feel wanted. They brought me in and liked me for being me. They want me and I want to be here.”

That feeling has to be a good one for Thomas after how he felt he was treated the last few years.

Jeff Hornacek has talked about a dangerous three guard rotation of Thomas, Eric Bledsoe and Goran Dragic. To be fair, Thomas may be a bit of insurance in case the Suns don’t reach a deal with Bledsoe or can’t afford to keep Dragic when he opts-out next summer. Still, for a year this could work.

But for one year at least I want the Suns to keep that trio together — Phoenix could end up being not only good but one of the most entertaining teams in the NBA next season.

1. azcards - Jul 21, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Bhunter1995

Huh? He’s not gonna start in Phoenix. Not if Dragic and Bledsoe are both still here. Which they should be for this upcoming season at least.

2. jattsoorma - Jul 21, 2014 at 7:31 PM

watched him all year, his numbers are inflated because of playing on a bad team and always having the ball, he was basically the only PG the kings had after the early season vasquez trade, shooter shoot over him like hes not even their, he’s a bench role player at best on a playoff team

• bhunter1995 - Jul 21, 2014 at 7:44 PM

If his shooting percentages were bad I would agree but they aren’t. He shoots very well for his position and btw the reason the Kings don’t win many games isn’t their offense. They actually have a good offense and Thomas is one of several good offensive players. The scoring load isn’t on his back it is actually spread across several positions. Their defense is the problem.

• jattsoorma - Jul 22, 2014 at 12:05 PM

guess where those problems on defense start

3. campcouch - Jul 21, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Usually anyone that offers you money to work for them means they want you.

4. smcgaels1997 - Jul 21, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Ha! Wanted so much to come off the bench. It’s the 27 million that does it

• paleihe - Jul 21, 2014 at 9:27 PM

If someone offered us 27 million, we’d feel plenty wanted.

5. bhunter1995 - Jul 21, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Azcard – read my comment I clearly said that he will be on the bench behind Dragic and Bledsoe, my secoand comment was a correction of my original comment which is much more detailed so please make the effort to read my comment before you disagree with my statement.

6. harper2 - Jul 21, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Isaiah I hope you know that we as Kings fans ALWAYS loved having you in Sacramento. You were definitely wanted and appreciated there, despite what management did or did not do. Nothing but the best of luck to you in Phoenix

7. mydoglouie - Jul 21, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Does someone need a hug? The poor done by basketball player. What disrespect card to play?

8. vols84 - Jul 21, 2014 at 11:51 PM

I think Phoenix will trade Bledsoe. Probably end up with Nash on his farewell tour and a pick from the lakers.

9. bhunter1995 - Jul 21, 2014 at 7:06 PM

**somewhere where he can start**

10. jcmeyer10 - Jul 21, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Just saying that in a diplomatic way. Sure seems like he can ball. Why not go to a place that trusts him to be number one.

11. jcmeyer10 - Jul 21, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Haha, I’m an idiot. They probably took him out for ice cream.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches