Jul 21, 2014, 6:54 PM EDT
Isaiah Thomas needed to feel wanted.
That’s why this week he returned to the area he was born and played his college ball, where he is still a beloved star — Washington — and while there swung by the Seattle Pro-Am and dropped 47. Because he can.
He never felt wanted in Sacramento — he was the 60th and final pick in the draft, he was too small (5’9″) and yet he has been the best point guard they have had for several years. They kept bringing in new guys, he kept beating them out, he kept hearing how management wasn’t high on him. True or not, that’s how it was perceived, especially when they signed Darren Collison and let Thomas go this summer to Phoenix at a reasonable price.
Thomas said at his introductory press conference in Phoenix Monday what sold him on Phoenix was they made him feel wanted. From Thomas’ press conference:
“I wanted to feel wanted. They brought me in and liked me for being me. They want me and I want to be here.”
That feeling has to be a good one for Thomas after how he felt he was treated the last few years.
Jeff Hornacek has talked about a dangerous three guard rotation of Thomas, Eric Bledsoe and Goran Dragic. To be fair, Thomas may be a bit of insurance in case the Suns don’t reach a deal with Bledsoe or can’t afford to keep Dragic when he opts-out next summer. Still, for a year this could work.
But for one year at least I want the Suns to keep that trio together — Phoenix could end up being not only good but one of the most entertaining teams in the NBA next season.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 8
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 42
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11