Jul 20, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Once LeBron James made his decision to return to the Cleveland Cavaliers known, fans couldn’t wait to show their support by re-upping with some new gear — so much so that the NBA store apparently has sold out of its initial supply of replica jerseys.
From Darren Rovell of ESPN:
The @NBAStore says it has now sold out of LeBron replica Cavs home, away & alternate jerseys.
8 of the top 10 items sold during the last week @NBAStore are LeBron Cavs items.
Guessing Cavaliers blank jerseys are in short supply now though Cavs themselves still have jerseys available.
A quick look through the NBA online store shows a “special event” LeBron jersey for sale, although it’s black with gold lettering and comes with the following disclaimer:
“This is a special event item. Orders containing this item will be shipped separately. This item will ship within 2-4 weeks after the player has officially signed his contract and is assigned a number by the NBA.”
That last part isn’t exactly accurate, as players normally choose their number — or, in this case, ask for your help in choosing it.
The site notes that this particular style is “inspired by the jersey given to your team’s newest addition,” meaning this color and style may never be actually worn by LeBron or the Cavaliers on the court this season.
None of this comes as a surprise, of course, because when the game’s best player switches teams, the demand for new merchandise is obviously going to spike. Thankfully for the business side of the NBA, the league has a full three months before the season begins to replenish its supply.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 26
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 39
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28