Jul 20, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
The Knicks are deep at shooting guard at the moment, with quality players like J.R. Smith, Iman Shumpert, Tim Hardaway Jr. and the newly-acquired Shane Larkin all expected to vie for minutes at the position next season.
Unless, of course, one or more of them is gone before then.
Working to clear the logjam in the backcourt, the Knicks are discussing their potential trade options with guards J.R. Smith, Iman Shumpert and Shane Larkin, a league source said Sunday.
“They’re working on trying to make a move in the backcourt,” the NBA source familiar with the Knicks’ thinking said.
The idea that the Knicks are trying to make a trade to balance the roster isn’t earth-shattering. President Phil Jackson and GM Steve Mills have mentioned the Knicks have a surplus in the backcourt, with Mills saying last week the Knicks are “heavy” at shooting guard.
Only Hardaway Jr. was mentioned as “untouchable” in the report, and while the other three would each seem to have a certain level of value, they also have their flaws.
Smith took home the Sixth Man of the Year award two seasons ago, but was involved in needless nonsense last season — like beginning the year with a suspension for violating the league’s drug policy, then later getting fined $50,000 for multiple incidents of untying players’ shoes.
Shumpert is known as a solid perimeter defender, but hasn’t showed the expected level of improvement expected from a third-year player with his skill set. He was also made available in trade talks last season, but the Knicks ultimately never found a deal that was to their liking.
- Carmelo Anthony sits out second half vs. Portland with sore knee 0
- LeBron, after Cavaliers lose by 23 at home to Pistons: ‘Right now we are not very good. In every aspect of the game’ 29
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 16
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 15
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 30
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 19
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 12
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15