Jul 20, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Donte Greene was the subject of a niece piece from Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe on Sunday which details his attempt to make an NBA comeback after being out of the league for the last two seasons.
Greene played for the Nets at Summer League, and averaged 9.4 points, 3.6 rebounds, and 2.8 assists in five appearances.
But the timing couldn’t have been worse in terms of another report that emerged, which had Greene getting into some trouble with the law.
From The Associated Press:
Miami Beach Police Detective Vivian Thayer says St. Louis Rams linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar and NBA free agent Donte Greene were arrested early Sunday outside Dream Nightclub in South Beach.
Thayer says the athletes got into a fight outside the club. …
Thayer says Dunbar and Greene each face charges of battery and disorderly conduct.
Greene played in China the past two seasons, and (somewhat ironically) cited a more mature outlook as a quality he would bring with him upon making an NBA return.
“Sometimes you can get caught up in the politics of the NBA and not really have the love for the game that you should,” he told the Globe. “Going to China helped me get my passion back. It’s where it should be. I’m just trying to come back and be a pro. I’m older now, more mature, and I’ve got a big family to take care of.”
This is fairly harmless overall, and hopefully Greene’s basketball ability lands him another shot. But this simply isn’t a good look for someone trying to get back into an NBA team’s good graces.
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 13
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9