Jul 20, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Donte Greene was the subject of a niece piece from Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe on Sunday which details his attempt to make an NBA comeback after being out of the league for the last two seasons.
Greene played for the Nets at Summer League, and averaged 9.4 points, 3.6 rebounds, and 2.8 assists in five appearances.
But the timing couldn’t have been worse in terms of another report that emerged, which had Greene getting into some trouble with the law.
From The Associated Press:
Miami Beach Police Detective Vivian Thayer says St. Louis Rams linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar and NBA free agent Donte Greene were arrested early Sunday outside Dream Nightclub in South Beach.
Thayer says the athletes got into a fight outside the club. …
Thayer says Dunbar and Greene each face charges of battery and disorderly conduct.
Greene played in China the past two seasons, and (somewhat ironically) cited a more mature outlook as a quality he would bring with him upon making an NBA return.
“Sometimes you can get caught up in the politics of the NBA and not really have the love for the game that you should,” he told the Globe. “Going to China helped me get my passion back. It’s where it should be. I’m just trying to come back and be a pro. I’m older now, more mature, and I’ve got a big family to take care of.”
This is fairly harmless overall, and hopefully Greene’s basketball ability lands him another shot. But this simply isn’t a good look for someone trying to get back into an NBA team’s good graces.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 19
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28