Celtics to debut alternate logo this season (PHOTO)

Jul 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

The Celtics have one of the most iconic logos in all of basketball, and that’s not changing anytime soon.

But the team will unveil an alternate logo for the upcoming season, which will essentially be a silhouette of the team’s emblem.

From Baxter Holmes of the Boston Globe:

Created in-house, the logo, which is known as the “Lucky Alternate,” pays homage to the early 1960s illustration created by Celtics patriarch Red Auerbach’s brother, Zang, a former editorial and sports artist for newspapers in Washington.

It features the classic image of Lucky the leprechaun spinning the ball on his finger, only in white silhouette against a green backdrop, encircled by the words “BOSTON” and “CELTICS” in white.

“It’s such an iconic silhouette that people, when they see it, they’ll know exactly what it is,” said Shawn Sullivan, the team’s chief marketing officer.

The logo will first be used on adidas team apparel and merchandise on sale through the team’s online store beginning this month.

It won’t appear on team uniforms just yet, but will simply be another way for fans in Boston to represent.

1. hurricanegrabowski - Jul 20, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Created in-house? I wouldn’t doubt if it was created at someone’s house, with MS Paint.

• fm31970 - Jul 20, 2014 at 5:30 PM

…in about three minutes flat, too.

2. chilomane - Jul 20, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Isn’t this offensive like the redskins I demand they change it!!!!!!!

3. campcouch - Jul 20, 2014 at 4:42 PM

That’s just lazy.

4. elcaminobilly - Jul 20, 2014 at 5:44 PM

It’s Jiminy Cricket with a basketball!

5. footballer4ever - Jul 20, 2014 at 6:09 PM

omg! who was the “genius” to have come up with such creativity? lol.

i know, that is just a subliminal action to indicate how the celtics is a fading and/irrelevant basketball franchise nowadays.

6. mackcarrington - Jul 20, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Is that new? Looks remarkably familiar to me.

7. 00maltliquor - Jul 20, 2014 at 7:01 PM

There are 5 franchises who should NEVER change the logo, ever.

Lakers
    Bulls
    Knicks
    Heat

Celtics. Quit playing games and color it in….lazy.

8. 00maltliquor - Jul 20, 2014 at 7:05 PM

You know who DOES need a logo makeover though?….

The Clippers!! We already live in the same city and share the same house, stop swagger jacking and get your own logo! Time to stop wearing big brothers clothes!

• 22yearsagotoday - Jul 21, 2014 at 3:35 AM

Better to need a new logo than a new team, like the Lakers need.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 21, 2014 at 3:41 AM

Nnnnnn…nah. We good broham. We’re not as bad as you think. It’s gonna take a year or two but we’ll get there. I’m down for it. Clippers needed a new team for 30 years before Stern played Indian Giver in the Clippers favor. I wouldn’t poke my bird chest out if I’m a Clipper fan. You guys got DECADES of stench to wash out. DECADES.

9. Great Caesar's Ghost - Jul 20, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Two most hilarious quotes from the Globe article:

“…after 18 months of work, that idea will debut this week: a new alternate logo.”

“Celtics season ticket-holders and corporate partners can also buy apparel featuring the new alternate logo two days before products are released to the general public.”

10. AZ Dem - Jul 20, 2014 at 10:37 PM

I’m betting that this is meant for t-shirts and whatnot. I’m a Celtics fan, but I would never buy anything with the mid-court logo. If you go to the pro-shop at the Garden, you’ll see that all the gear (last time I was there) had the Shamrock logo.

This version of the logo looks better on a t-shirt. So, yeah, this is not a big deal.

11. ans2034 - Jul 21, 2014 at 2:13 PM

I would be more worried about my roster for the upcoming season instead of the damn team logo…I’m just sayin

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches