Jul 19, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
With all the moves the Wizards had made to bring depth to the front line in the past week — Kris Humphries, DeJuan Blair, not to mention re-signing Marcin Gortat — it had looked like Kevin Seraphin’s time in the nation’s Capital is done.
Nope. He’ll be back, too.
Heading into the offseason, the Wizards were intent on finding size. They couldn’t get what they wanted in last month’s draft, and Friday they secured their sixth big when Kevin Seraphin finally signed a one-year, $3.89 million qualifying offer, a person with knowledge of the situation told CSNwashington.com…
The Wizards have 14 players under contract for the 2014-15 season, one shy of the regular season maximum. They’d prefer to keep the final roster spot open, but given their need for more depth at guard this wouldn’t preclude them from making another move. And whether Seraphin is back for the long haul or if this is a move that’s a precursor to another deal by president Ernie Grunfeld remains to be seen.
Seraphin had been a restricted free agent but couldn’t secure a deal with another team and agreed to return to the Wizards this year.
Seraphin will be buried on the depth chart and the Wizards need depth at the guard spot, making this seem more like a move to set up a future trade than a signing meant for this season in Washington.
Seraphin got in 53 games for Washington last year and played less than 11 minutes a contest when he did. The 6’9” power forward played decently when he has gotten in (PER of 12.3), showing off a nice touch around the basket. While the Wizards have concerns about Nene staying healthy, it’s still hard to see Seraphin getting many minutes with Washington’s depth up front. Other teams are often looking for size once camp starts, making Seraphin possible trade bait.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 0
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 3
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31