Andrew Wiggins says he hasn’t been told anything by Cavaliers, he’s not worried about rumors

Jul 19, 2014, 1:32 AM EDT

Andrew Wiggins AP

LAS VEGAS — The rumors have been swirling and conflicting — either Andrew Wiggins has been offered to Minnesota in a trade for Kevin Love, or he hasn’t been put in any deals. LeBron James apparently has called Love up and pitched coming to Cleveland to the All-Star power forward.

Andrew Wiggins said he’s just trying to keep his head down, below the radar on all this.

“I let my agent and my support system handle that, I just love playing the game of basketball and I know the NBA is a business,” Wiggins said Friday night after his Cavaliers had played their last game in the Las Vegas Summer League.

Is all of this distracting, especially with family and friends asking him about it?

“Not at all,” Wiggins said. “If it’s someone important, family or friends, you kind of tell them what you know. But if it’s not, it’s mostly in one ear and out the other.”

But is he worried?

“No. I just play basketball man wherever I go.”

He added that the Cavaliers have not told him personally anything.

“I just know what you know, I just see what you see on TV,” Wiggins said.

Of course, Wiggins would love to play next to LeBron, but they haven’t spoken — Wiggins said he’s been busy, LeBron has been busy and he has not tried to reach out to him.

“It would be great for me,” Wiggins said of playing next to LeBron. “I could really learn and pick his brain, and see what it takes to get to his level.”

Wiggins said he is excited about the idea of LeBron returning to Cleveland.

“It’s been crazy, but it’s all positive stuff you know,” Wiggins said. “LeBron comes back, nothing negative about that at all, best player in the world coming to your team, it’s just a great feeling, the organization is on the rise right now.”

Wiggins did not play in the Cavaliers’ final Summer League game with the team saying he had put in a lot of work and they had seen enough of him over the course of the Las Vegas Summer League. They also sat Anthony Bennett for this final game.

“I showed people how quickly my skill set has developed and transitioned to the NBA, and how the NBA operates,” Wiggins said. “You know, more one-on-one stuff in space, and that’s where I showed my growth…

“It’s been a great experience getting to play against great talent, loving the chemistry of the team and getting to know my teammates… getting a feel for the coach, him getting a feel for me and how we operate on the court.”

The Cavaliers were happy with what they saw, with Cleveland coach David Blatt saying he liked how coachable Wiggins was.

“I was looking at Wig’s performances,” Cavaliers said. “Guy was in double figures every game, he rebounded, he defended, he went to the foul line, he played with intensity on both ends of the court. I thought for a rookie, for a guy with a lot on his shoulders as the first pick in the draft, for a 19 year old, I thought he played extremely well. We’re real happy with what he did.”

The question remains will this Summer League be the only time Wiggins puts on a Cavaliers uniform?

1. balsagna - Jul 19, 2014 at 1:53 AM

Cleveland is such a perfect spot for him to develop as a player I hope the Cavs don’t trade him. His handle leaves something to be desired, and with Kyrie/Lebron/Waiters handling the ball he doesn’t have the pressure to be the go to scorer. I really wonder how he would develop in Minnesota with the pressure on him to be the guy from day 1. Situation means a lot when it comes to the development of young players.

• ranfan12 - Jul 19, 2014 at 2:34 PM

I:d be interested if he departs on his own in a few years if he’s kept with the cavs. Might get tired of being second fiddle and change teams like t-mac when him and vc were on the raptors

• badge3832 - Jul 21, 2014 at 12:28 PM

It depends on whether they’re winning.

• jkfargo - Jul 19, 2014 at 10:00 PM

He will have a lot more pressure on Cleveland. They are going to be expected to get to the finals and he has to be a big part of that. Nobody is going to expect the Wolves to even make the playoffs if they deal Love. The Cavs need Wiggins to be good right away if they want to win. Lebron’s time is now. Wiggins is going to have the pressure to develop fast, especially if the Cavs choose him over Love.

• badge3832 - Jul 21, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Good players don’t worry about “pressure”.

2. zoomy123 - Jul 19, 2014 at 2:11 AM

I didn’t believe the Chris Broussard article when it first came out and I still don’t believe it. This smells just like the “report” that Kyle Lowry was going to Miami. I have no doubt that a “source” really did tell Broussard that trade talks were happening involving Wiggins, Bennett + a 1st round pick for Love. But I also have no doubts that his “source” was from Minnesota, and that they were leaking false reports. The circumstantial evidence is leading to this conclusion:

Step 1: Leak false reports that the Cavs are now willing to make Wiggins available and that the GSW are now willing to make Thompson available.

Step 2: Leak false reports that you favor Thompson over Wiggins to induce GSW to offer Thompson.

Step 3: Leak false reports that you are now in trade talks with the Cavs who are offering Wiggins, Bennett + a 1st round pick in order to further induce GSW to offer Thompson.

Step 4: Pre-empt questions about why trade talks have stalled by claiming that you’ve rejected the Cavs’ offer because you’re demanding more.

Everything we’ve been hearing over the last couple days has either been debunked (GSW + Cavs flat out denying that they’ve made either Thompson or Wiggins available for trade) or flat out irrational (Minnesota claiming they favor Thompson over Wiggins or the Cavs bidding against themselves by offering the house).

Like I said before, I can’t find a single reputable nba journalist who has independently confirmed Chris Broussard’s article. Everything about the supposed trade talks between Minnesota + the Cavs always references Broussard’s article.

• jeffkx - Jul 19, 2014 at 9:15 PM

That “source” is someone involved with Minnesota trying to drum up interest.

• badge3832 - Jul 21, 2014 at 12:32 PM

I have to agree. If the Cavs really offered Wiggins, Bennett, and anything at all the Wolves would be nuts not to take it.

3. campcouch - Jul 19, 2014 at 2:19 AM

For whatever real or BS reason James has for returning to the Cavs, he and Gilbert would have to be morons to wager the franchise’s future on any deal that dismantles what little is on the team. Sending Bennett, Wiggins, Verejao, Waiters and picks away in deals that will bring you Kevin Love and some filler players is nonsense. James is not playing until 40 and when he does decide to hang it up, Love is going to demand to be moved and they’ll be at step 0 again. Keep these guys on their rookie contracts. Who says it’ll take 4 years for them to develop? Playing with James and Irving probably accelerates their learning curve a bit more. If Gilbert wants to mortgage the future of his franchise on Love, he’s a mushroom. Let James leave if he wants next year,it’s not worth gutting the team of talent, if you could get the guy for less at the trade deadline or even work a deal after the season.

• jasper36 - Jul 19, 2014 at 2:39 AM

Miami will be thankful for LeBrons decision in 10 years.

4. jasper36 - Jul 19, 2014 at 2:36 AM

Unless LeBron has told him he is not being traded, then he should be very worried.

• fanofthegame79 - Jul 19, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I’m not sure worried is the word. Wiggins is in a win-win situation here. Originally, he was drafted by a bad team in the East without LeBron “heading home”. Now, he either stays with the team that drafted him, while playing with and being tutored by the best player in the world. Or, he get’s traded, along with a guy that he already knows (Bennett) to a young team where he’ll be showcased as the potential savior – all while being paid millions of dollars. Neither situation is a bad one to be in, imo.

5. mungman69 - Jul 19, 2014 at 2:41 AM

I still believe that the pressure is on the Wolves. You guys are right, if Minnesota wants the world for Love then pull back and wait.

6. mungman69 - Jul 19, 2014 at 7:15 AM

Just got done reading some articles from the Cleveland paper and those writers think that it would be best to wait.
    The question lingers; just how long will LeBron be in his prime? Wait for Wiggins? All in for Love? The Cavs can wait. Maybe as this season unfolds the Cavs will get a better handle on Wiggins.

7. cranespy - Jul 19, 2014 at 7:40 AM

Cavs fan here……is it just me or does it seem awfully suspicious that Wiggins nor Bennett played in the final summer league game? Don’t do it…..please!

• zoomy123 - Jul 19, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Wasn’t strange at all. There was even an article Thursday on bleacherreport stating that Houston would be his last Summer League game.

• showtime1911 - Jul 19, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Also it wasn’t strange because cleveland decided before the tournament that he was only going to play four games. Also, I haven’t heard anyone mention or write that the sideline reporter spoke to one of the executive of the cave last night that said they were close to signing a deal with wiggins. These people are all trying to create something so presumably they can be the first.

8. onereasonableman - Jul 19, 2014 at 7:57 AM

I’m a CAVS fan too. This really is a tough one, but I think one way to look at it is they have to make moves to win right now. LeBron is in his prime but that won’t last. If we have a legitimate shot to have the 3 necessary pieces to go for a championship right now, we probably have to do it.

Wiggins was a gift. He is a nice kid and looks like a great talent, but we don’t have time to see what he will become. It might take him 4 years to really develop, by that time LBJ is in the decline and we don’t have the fire power to win.

I’ve been and really still remain in the camp to wait this process out and see if the Wolves cave. I’d like to see us get this trade done and still keep Wiggins. On the other hand, it has been so long since we’ve had a championship, if the organization feels it is the best chance to make the move, then make the move and let’s get at it.

• rrhoe - Jul 19, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Not a CLE fan but you guys have a young team where none of the players have ever been to the playoffs(Kevin Love either), lower your expectations a little bit and give this team some time to grow. I truly believe that you will get your championship.

9. mungman69 - Jul 19, 2014 at 8:21 AM

You Cavs fans have a dilemma on your hands. (IT IS A GREAT DILEMMA TO HAVE BY THE WAY). If the Cavs keep Wiggins and he turns into a star then when Lebron ages the Cavs will have Wiggins, Irving, Thompson and several other pieces going forward. That’s not a bad roster. If they give up Wiggins for Love the Cavs would be in that “win now” mode. But Kevin Love is only 25 so he should have many productive years left. The trick that the Cavs are exploring is how to acquire Love and keep Wiggins AND how to pay all these players. Good luck.

• badge3832 - Jul 21, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Kevin Love doesn’t want to be in Cleveland. He just wants to play with Lebron James. If James declines, Love will be off to the west coast.

10. ravenswhat - Jul 19, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Great attitude and man is this guy a talent. It would be a mistake to move him but one I fully expect a professional sports team from Cleveland to make.

11. rrhoe - Jul 19, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Okay,here’s my 2 cents worth: The Cavs will go thru some growing pains with Love or without Love,they have a new coach and players will need to see where they stand,what the rotations will be,lineups,defensive philosophy/offensive philosophy and having players find their roles. I just don’t see CLE winning a title next year so why even put the team under that pressure(sorry CLE fans),but more importantly keep your players,let them develop,see what you working with. NEXT YEAR,if Love truly wants to come to CLE then they should by all means offer him a 4yr max contract,NEXT YEAR.

• fanofthegame79 - Jul 19, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I don’t think the Cavs have the room to sign Love outright next year, especially at a max contract. I think that’s why this deal has legs like it does.

• smoothaswilkes - Jul 19, 2014 at 11:50 AM

The Cavs will have his bird rights so they can sign him over the cap.

• fanofthegame79 - Jul 19, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Right, that’s if they trade for him this season and already have him under contract. If the Cavs wait until he’s a free agent (so they don’t have to give up Wiggins or Bennett), they would not have enough cap space to sign Love, nor would they have his Birds rights.

12. dmo84 - Jul 19, 2014 at 9:59 AM

All you Cavs fans who are against trading for Love are idiots! Love puts up huge numbers with no help. The Wolves have a point guard that can’t shoot, and center that’s always hurt, and nothing contributed from the shooting guard. You say KL has never been to the playoffs. If the Wolves are in the East they easily make the playoffs, and probably have a better record. Aren’t the Cavs in the East? Now with the best player in the world? And you guys would rather have Wiggins, Bennett, and a 1st instead of Love and being the best team in the East! How many championships do the Cavs have? Their only finals appearance was because of Lebron and a bunch of nobody’s. Did the Cavs even make the playoffs last year with all these great young players(minus Wiggins)? How many were top 5 picks? Kansas had Wiggins and Embied(2 of the top 3 picks in the draft). Did they win a national championship,or even make the Final 4? If you could get one championship, with your hometown guy Lebron, isn’t it worth mortgaging the future(Wiggins and Bennett) for Love? I’m a Twolves fan and now hate Love for wanting to leave. But I would like to see him go to Cleveland so they(the Cavs franchise and their fans) can win a championship!

• fanofthegame79 - Jul 19, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Well said. And, pretty much, all true. I understand people (Cavs fans) not wanting to give up Wiggins, but they’re being a little bit greedy. If LeBron didn’t go back to Cleveland, and all the Cavs did was draft Wiggins and see an improvement with Bennett, would they make they even be in any conversation about championships or seeing the Finals? Would they even make the playoffs?? The answers are no, and maybe. Now, the Cavs have LeBron, signed a couple of decent free agent shooters (Miller and Jones) and have the chance to parlay a couple of young and unproven players (Wiggins and Bennett) for a legit 26-12 player in Love (who plays in the tougher Western Conference, mind you) and they want to put the breaks on talking about “mortgaging the future”. From my understanding, it’s been 46 years since Cleveland has earned a championship; if I’m in that situation, I say “win one for me now!!!! and we’ll talk about the future when we get there”. Look at the Boston Red Sox – it took 80+ years before they won, now they’ve been perenially good for the last decade (give or take), not to mention winning the World Series 3 times.

• badge3832 - Jul 21, 2014 at 12:43 PM

The Cavs have never won a championship.

• fanofthegame79 - Jul 21, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Right, badge…The Cavs have never won, but the city of Cleveland does have a championship (the Browns, if I’m not mistaken).

13. mungman69 - Jul 19, 2014 at 10:34 AM

dmo84; You want Wiggins, don’t you. And you know what, I can’t blame you.

• dmo84 - Jul 19, 2014 at 11:31 AM

I was all for the Wolves trying to get Lee, Barnes, and Thompson for Love. Still am in favor of that trade. But I do like the prospect of Wiggins(super athletic, and defends). Plus it will be the only and first time the Wolves would have the overall number one pick in the draft! So yes, for Kevin Love I would want Wiggins. I would be more upset if the Cavs got Love, and got to keep Wiggins, then to see Love leave for nothing at the end of the season.

14. gnu2308 - Jul 19, 2014 at 12:38 PM

One thing I have learned while following this whole story is cavs fans might be the biggest idiots on the planet. Love for wiggins + others is one of the biggest no brainers there has ever been. I am shocked at the number of fans against it.

15. lbeezyse - Jul 19, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Also note that the Cavs will NOT have Lebrons bird rights either. If the Cavs dont trade for Love they will never get him for anything other than the mle.

16. bigbamboom1 - Jul 19, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Cleveland is nuts if they do a deal like this. They have all of the cards on their table now. Even multiple 1st round picks next year. Wiggins should flourish with James and Irving. Wiggins upside could be more than Irving. On the other hand. Love’s value is the exact same. He is a stat machine that has not delivered 1 single playoff appearance. No way I do a deal like this. Challenge LeBron to help mold the young talent around him into Championship material. Just like Tim Duncan does in San Antonio.

17. cranespy - Jul 19, 2014 at 11:28 PM

If this deal gets done then Lebron’s letter is not worth the paper it was written on.

He corrected his big mistake of walking away from his home…….he made it clear that Cleveland was where he wanted to win a championship…..be went on to say it wasn’t going to be easy nor was it going to happen in a hurry. And now just like that…….it’s NOT about building a team …. Its about mortgaging the foundation for a quicker route to a title…..lets get K Love no matter what the cost and to hell with Wiggins and Bennett and a #1 next year. Sounds similar to his run to South Beach … to that….let’s win NOW plan…..sure the Heat won 2 of 4 but look at them now….trying hard to patch together a playoff team.

What about it Lebron….what about that letter?? You did mean it …… Didn’t you??

• badge3832 - Jul 21, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Lebron is not the GM. It’s not up to him.

18. cnyle01 - Jul 20, 2014 at 2:11 AM

To those who say the Cavs are “stupid” for not pulling the trigger……Wiggins isn’t going anywhere. Why would the Cavs give up 90% of their young talent and wind up with 3 max players NOW and have no cap room to replace the good players traded away? WON’T happen. Best case for the Wolves as far as the Cavs are concerned is Bennett, Thompson and 2 1st round picks. That or gamble and get nothing for Love and lose him outright. The Cavs can stand pat and have a solid team this year. As for Lebron and his time left in his prime…He has never played with a good let alone great PG. I have a strong feeling we are going to see a whole new monster this year and for many more to come.

19. cranespy - Jul 20, 2014 at 10:17 AM

I have been a Cavs fan since the days of Foots and Bingo and Campy and Nate….since the days of Lenny and Bill….since the days of the Richfield Coliseum….since the days of “1100 Cleveland 3WE”……since the days of Pete Franklin? You gave us your word Lebron……let’s take our chances with what we have. Let’s do it the right way….

• badge3832 - Jul 21, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Lebron is not the GM

20. micknangold - Jul 21, 2014 at 7:50 AM

So LeBron has time to play pitch man to a guy who’s under contract but not to call the guy his team just drafted number one. Wiggins must feel pretty secure considering LeBron is essentially the governor of Ohio at this point.

• badge3832 - Jul 21, 2014 at 12:51 PM

I’m against the trade (or at least what I’ve heard rumored) but I have no problem with his talking to Love. If anything goes down the two will have to play together. It helps if they’re on the same page.

How has sale of Hawks made other NBA owners nervous?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches